SSD for music questions....

the13bats

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
I use laptops for music/DJ stuff, there is always the discussion which is better store your music on the system drive or use a second internal drive or external drive for storage and in that the right answer is the best way will vary person to person, I have done it all ways and had great results.

I see a lot of people not just music people like to use a SSD for the OS and programs and a second internal HDD for storage of things like photos, docs, music etc,
I run that set up in one laptop I have and it works fine, but seems to me using the HDD is backing up,

I have been in the music profession since the 70's so I have a large music collection I shave it way down for DJ work, I have used external HDDs and even cards or USB sticks to store music for a show,

Now my question is about SSD's I see them being offered more and more as external storage drives what if any is the draw backs ( cost doesn't matter to me ) to using those as my storage of music, I might add the second SSD as internal ( replace optic drive ) or external in a USB case but I am curious if I store music on a SSD that I might play from daily or several times a week will that use kill a SSD too quickly?

Many thanks,
Bats

USAFRet

Titan
but I am curious if I store music on a SSD that I might play from daily or several times a week will that use kill a SSD too quickly?

No, it won't. Playing/reading files from the SSD is trivial and does not affect the lifespan at all.
If you planned on writing the entire size of the drive, twice a day, for a few years....then you might have an issue.

An external SSD is much more reliable than the USB sticks or SD cards you've been using.

the13bats

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks...I pretty much suspected this to be the case but just wanted to have a second on that,

I like keeping up and using the tech we have out there, when I started in all this music stuff I hauled around crates of records, then it was CD's and video,

I want to get a couple SSDs, install one in the optic drive space and have another in an external case to be ready for whatever I need,

So what's your guess on how long before HDDs are phased out and it becomes pretty much all SSDs?

USAFRet

Titan

A few years yet.
My main PC is SSD only, except for 1 large 3TB HDD for backups.
4 x SSD's of various sizes, ~2TB.
A few short yrs ago, 2TB of SSD space would have been a choice between 'buy a car' or 'buy SSD'.

My wife's PC is SSD only with 250GB

My HTPC/house server is 120GB SSD for the OS, and a crapload of large drives for all that stuff. 20+TB is a bit out of my price range if all SSD..:)