Which OS is better in overall performance?

mohamedirbaz

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
I am confused between Win 7 and Win 10. Well i personally hate Win 8/8.1. I have heard that Win 10 is good but not worth. People say that Win 10 is only good for gaming because of Directx 12 other than that for other stuff they say Win 7 is better. Well i play games as well as do some work on too. I need an OS which is overall best amon these two. Can someone please help me out with these OS?
And i have GTX 750 ti 2GB GDDR5

Solution
It is really personal preference, I still have many Windows 7 machines because I too do not like 8 much. 10 is an improved 8.

But for gaming on newer games you will want 10, maybe you don't need it today but as time passes it will become needed for many more games. On older gear 10 causes issues, particularly with laptops. My big problem with 10 is the lack of control over updates, and those can break things.

And you can still upgrade for free from 7/8 to 10. Just go to the assistive technologies page HERE. You don't have to keep using them (like the magnifier) after you upgrade. Microsoft is leaving this open to allow upgrades but not lose face on their deadline back in the summer.

RealBeast

Titan
It is really personal preference, I still have many Windows 7 machines because I too do not like 8 much. 10 is an improved 8.

But for gaming on newer games you will want 10, maybe you don't need it today but as time passes it will become needed for many more games. On older gear 10 causes issues, particularly with laptops. My big problem with 10 is the lack of control over updates, and those can break things.

And you can still upgrade for free from 7/8 to 10. Just go to the assistive technologies page HERE. You don't have to keep using them (like the magnifier) after you upgrade. Microsoft is leaving this open to allow upgrades but not lose face on their deadline back in the summer.

Solution

Wow that's pretty interesting!

Performance difference is negligible.
Few games now implement DX12 and the benefit is minor if you have a good gaming cpu.
If you hate 8.1, then you will like 10 less.
In particular, win 10 requires you to update whenever windows pushes out a new version.
You can defer the update for a while, but I would pay the extra $99 to get the pro upgrade where you have more control over the process.

A second negative is the default instrumentation built into 10.
This adds overhead that you may not want.
Here is how to lessen the impact:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

In time, we may be REQUIRED to update to 10 if we want to run newer technologies like ZEN, Kaby lake or OPTANE technologies.
It is unclear if such new tech will run, but not be optimized on 7, or if they will not run at all.

If you are running OK with 7, keep it for as long as it does the job.
If you are on 8.1, I would upgrade.

If this is a new build, I would probably go with 10.

10 is slower than 8.1, but faster than 7. The speed improvements in 10 were made in 8, and 10 is slower because it carries more baggage, as Microsoft knew they had the extra speed they could spend in the back end with things like telemetry and other processing that really isn't needed to run a computer, and users upgrading from 7 would still see a modest speed improvement, not realizing 10 was slower than the immediate predecessor, which is 8.1.

As far as gaming is concerned, Windows 7, 8.1, & 10 are going to run your games at the same speed, with the same hardware, with the difference being only the margin of error in measurement. Games utilize the DirectX API, and the most popular versions of DX are the same between these versions of Windows, so performance remains the same.

The only advantage Windows 10 offers gamers is the newer DirectX 12 API. Newer games can utilize this to their advantage, or target this API exclusively. When this happens, for best results, or running exclusive titles, picking Windows 10 will be a non-choice.