Error 504 Timeout - Preventing me from using Tom's

Hello all,
Once again, I have a question that's best aimed at moderators and administrators within the Tom's network.

So when I've tried to get to Tom's Hardware recently, I'd get Error 504 Timeout. Also, the red hammer icon was replaced with a drawing of a white sf on a black background... SuperForums? Just guessing there.

That's what was preventing me from getting back to the posts that I've been working on. So I apologize for my absence from the posts that I've been helping with.

Anyways, my question... What is Error 504? Is it client side, server side, or in the network between the two? If it's client side, how can I prevent it?

Steps I've taken for client side troubleshooting: disabling browser add-ons, refreshing Firefox, uninstalling Firefox and using Edge, using IE (haven't used Chrome, I don't trust it), tested connection strength to all in house networking device (no abnormalities there), replaced Ethernet cable to my computer (no difference), disabled the onboard Ethernet in BIOS and used a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter I had lying around (no difference), used other devices on my network, tried to use my cell phone on its cellular network (out of data)... So yeah, that's been my troubleshooting. If it's client side, then I'm not sure what it might be.

Thanks to all that at least try to help!

-Darren

500 series errors are server side, nothing you can do about it from your end.

As to "What is Error 504?" a simple Google search of "http error 504" turned up some 47,000,000 hits with this one at the top of the list. 504 is generally a transient error and a refresh will, in most cases, be successful.

@rgd1101 It happened when trying to access www.tomshardware.com. I wasn't trying to get to a specific post right away, I always start from the Tom's Hardware home page. It's been happening constantly from Friday night until today at about 16:00 New York time zone, United States.

@ex_bubblehead That's about what I read, that a refresh would fix it. However, it took several days before I was able to get back on Tom's (I've probably refreshed about a thousand times before it worked three days later). I was asking for more information on the error because the "refresh and you're fine" solution I found on Google wasn't helping me at all.

I've had more of the 500 series errors in the last week or so. I heard what sounded like Chinese music playing through my speakers last week until I refreshed the Tom's homepage. I've also just a few minutes ago, got a notice from Google itself that the homepage might have malware on it. It said kgntn(.)com was trying to load. Perhaps an advertising issue?

All seems well so far, clean scan from Malwarebytes. I run Ccleaner daily to clean it up as well as inspect startup items, browser plugins, and scheduled tasks. Hmm. Been a weird week to be sure.

Update: As I've been using the forums regularly for the past few days (loading a new page anywhere from three times a minute to once every ten minutes), I've noticed that I'm getting a 504 error about once an hour or so. Although a simple refresh seems to be correcting the issue for the time being.

Thanks for letting us know. It's not been as much of a problem real recently and I'm able to answer posts regularly now so I'm happy. I mean, an error here or there that can be overcome by refreshing the page is tolerable.