What exactly do higher refresh rates do

Solution

That only works on few monitors and no way it'ss go from 60 to 144Hz. You need to test and see on a proper 144Hz monitor, but i'd be very surprized if you can't actually tell the difference. REmember, having over 60FPS on a 60 monitor will not tell you if you can or cant.
And 144HZ in 1080p wiht a GTX 1070 is very doable even on ultra with the prettiuest textures.
I would say go for the 144Hz. You will most likely never want to look back. This is not like with the response time, which most manufaturers lie about an most people can't see. Refresh rate is very noticeable when paired with the proper...

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Monitors basically work by displaying a series of still images on a screen. A Monitor's refresh rate is rate at which that monitor can change the image being shown. This is measured in cycles per second, or Hertz (Hz). A 60Hz monitor can change it's display 60 times per second. A 144Hz monitor can change it's display 144 times per second. You get the point.

The higher the frame rate, the smother motion looks on screen. However, your monitor will not display more frames than it is speced to, so if your PC is rendering a game at 100fps, a 60Hz monitor will still only show you 60fps. This is why everyone is asking you if you have actually used a high refresh rate monitor before assuming that you can't see any difference above 60Hz.

That being said, not everyone's eyes are the same, so it's possible you won't get much out of using a high refresh rate monitor. if your eyes can see the difference, then you should see much smoother animations when running games above 60fps on a monitor that supports that.

asian_tempation

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

That's kinda the problem, I don't want to spend extra money for something that looks the same to me. Also, I kinda prefer higher resolutions and prettier textures over smoothness, and isn't hitting 144 impractial for almost any games with a 1070 or 1060? Can I overclock my current monitor, Samsung U28E590D? If not, where can I experience 144hz?

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

You can probably go to a test store or something like a Best Buy or Fry's and look at their monitors.

That only works on few monitors and no way it'ss go from 60 to 144Hz. You need to test and see on a proper 144Hz monitor, but i'd be very surprized if you can't actually tell the difference. REmember, having over 60FPS on a 60 monitor will not tell you if you can or cant.
And 144HZ in 1080p wiht a GTX 1070 is very doable even on ultra with the prettiuest textures.
I would say go for the 144Hz. You will most likely never want to look back. This is not like with the response time, which most manufaturers lie about an most people can't see. Refresh rate is very noticeable when paired with the proper FPS for 99.9% of teh population. You would literally have to have impaired vision not to notice it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS