Dual monitors via two seperate graphics cards

Brian_165

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
The parts for my new computer will be arriving next week, but my shiny new 1070 can't output VGA, which is the only input my current monitor supports. A new one is on it's way, of course, but I don't want this one to just collect dust. I'd like to use it as a second monitor.

My question is, can I plug an old GT 430 I have lying around into the spare PCI-E slot on my motherboard and use it to run my current monitor as a secondary screen for skype/music/youtube/movies/etc., while my new main monitor outputs games via the 1070? And will it be any different in practice than just running two screens of a single card (alt-tabbing to an application that's on the secondary monitor without the primary one minimizing the currently running game, etc.)?

Solution
You can run both those card in the same rig. I ran my 980 and a 580, using the 580 for a second monitor and physics.

I also have a computer at work running a quadro 600 and a GT 710 for a second monitor.

Mixing NVidia and AMD is a no go, back in the day some people figured out how to do it but your looking at 10-15 years ago so they could use the NVidia card for physics.

bailojustin

Distinguished
NO, you cannot mix and match cards unless the are of the same GPU architechture and running in sli/crossfire.

And easy solution to your problem would be a DVI/HDMI/DISPLAYPORT to VGA connector.
I have linked one Here for you to use as an example.

But NO matter what you are not going to be able to put another card in that computer unless its a 1070

Brian_165

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

I see. I figured it was that way, but I still wanted to make sure, since I'm not attempting to use them to combine their power to render the same application, rather, running two separate monitors.

My motherboard has VGA output, though. Can I run the monitor off the processor igpu instead?

You can run both those card in the same rig. I ran my 980 and a 580, using the 580 for a second monitor and physics.

I also have a computer at work running a quadro 600 and a GT 710 for a second monitor.

Mixing NVidia and AMD is a no go, back in the day some people figured out how to do it but your looking at 10-15 years ago so they could use the NVidia card for physics.

Solution

Brian_165

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016

Oh, so it DOES work? The guy above said it definitely does not. But since you have actual experience with that kind of setup, I'll be going with your opinion. Thanks for the answer :)

The only downside to the second card is it will add a little more heat to your case and draw some power. The GT 430 is a weak card so you probably wont see to much heat and power draw to even notice. But it will do fine running a second monitor and all your miscellaneous programs.

Yes, you can mix graphics cards in a system, and yes you can mix brands in a system. I currently have an AMD 290X and an NVIDIA GTX 460 running together in one system.

Under normal circumstances, the cards will not work with each other to perform 3D rendering, such as playing games, but that doesn't sound like your intent anyway.

Make sure your power supply is up to the task of running the extra hardware.

Seeing how generationally far apart the cards you plan to run are, you may be looking for legacy drivers to install for your GT 430. You may have to install the drivers manually through Device Manager rather than by using the normal installation, if the drivers have issues detecting and installing for the correct card.

NVIDIA finished the acquisition of Ageia in 2008, so your time frame is a little off. Hybrid PhysX still works for older titles. It does not work in newer titles because NVIDIA has found newer methods to block its functionality, including forcing game developers to implement various software checks.

This doesn't affect the use of their graphics cards for Desktop usage.

Well the last time I used an AMD card was my x850 xt that was AGP, changed to the green team with a 8800 ultra and have been Nvidia since then. I've never even owned an AMD cpu, always have had intel cpus. Even when AMD was beating intel back in the P4 Prescott years, I was there in my room frying eggs on the heatsink :D mad for quite the space heater in the room.