has anyone here teardown any car??

aqarwaen

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
has anyone here teardown any car completel,to find out what kind electronics modem car contains.
or so you know any such kind youtube teardowns??

Solution

A modern car contains many dozens of processors and sensors ranging from powerful ones similar to those in smartphones down to very simple 8 bit units. The actual processors themselves are embedded units soldered to a PCB, which in the case of many of them, sealed inside of plastic or metal cases inside the engine bay and connected to sensors using bunches of wiring harnesses. The only "modifications" that can be done would be software flashes for the ECU/PCM and infotainment system- you cannot actually modify the hardware as that would be physically very difficult (requires BGA...

USAFRet

Titan

I'm sure many people here, myself included, have disassembled a car to various levels.

Now....what are you actually wanting to do?

aqarwaen

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
well with disassembly i mean....taking car down to such level,where you can see all car electronics in chip level.like completely tearing down car computer or radio

USAFRet

Titan

So, assuming you find one of the dozen or so 'chips' in the car, and you take it out...then what?
You're looking at a standard integrated circuit chip.

computerchallanged

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

yes im new to this webpage but ive been a master tech for years

Urbanengineer

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
There are places you can go that let you disassemble things and take them home with you for $ of course. When I have a friend that can't understand how something car related works, I take them to one of these "pull a part" junkyards and we go to town on tearing down the car. They have minimum safety requirements, but wear hard soled close toed shoes, jeans, safety glasses, etc.

You can literally disassemble anything you like to learn about it! They are everywhere. Just call before you head out, some places only let you pickup parts.

https://upullandpay.com/cincinnati/home/

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I'm not sure what your asking here. I've messed around with many before and also have been on the line for some decent time. Whats the question?

If its about manipulating automotive electronics I didn't find anyone throwing bones here as far as the coding / reverse engineering goes. I mean audio stuff is pretty straight forward.

A modern car contains many dozens of processors and sensors ranging from powerful ones similar to those in smartphones down to very simple 8 bit units. The actual processors themselves are embedded units soldered to a PCB, which in the case of many of them, sealed inside of plastic or metal cases inside the engine bay and connected to sensors using bunches of wiring harnesses. The only "modifications" that can be done would be software flashes for the ECU/PCM and infotainment system- you cannot actually modify the hardware as that would be physically very difficult (requires BGA desoldering and soldering) and you would have to modify the proprietary closed-source firmware, which for many of the smaller controllers is on a fixed ROM. That and messing with much of it is illegal according to the feds as well, especially anything to do with airbags, mileage, or emissions.

If you are just curious what your car has, go get something like a Chilton manual and flip to the electrical section.

If you want to actually learn about car electronics, go take an automotive technology course at the local vo-tech college. You can also look at the documentation for a well documented, simple EFI setup for an offroad engine such as a larger lawnmower with an EFI gasoline engine (such as a Kohler Command EFI engine) to get a general idea of how a typical automotive electronic control system works.

Solution