Slow Intel I5 M 430 2.27GHz

ye4him

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi guys
I'm facing a serious problem with my home laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-3160es). More than three mounts ago the pc start getting slower and slower with time,I ran some tests and i used WhySoSlow utility i noticed that the CPU is reaching Max which is 2527MHz with a slightly high temperature 52 °c the CPU load in normal less then 20%.
* no heavy application are used during the test.

cpu1.png

cpu2.png

Then i preformed the CPU stress test as you see.
stress_cpu.png

I already tried to upgrade drivers (motherboard,bios...)

so what's the problem ? how can i fix it ?
thanks in advance.

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
fan working?
in bios you have an option to enable it...

i saw a dm4 with slightly higher cpu (460 m i believe?) and sometimes even with fan on high, the area/corner around cpu gets hot.

ye4him

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Yes it's always on.

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
To me it "looks" like a hardware problem and not something related to s/w - so drivers will not help much.

It could be that there's lots of dust in the ventilation area of the cpu, that is somehow blocking the access of fresh air to the fan/cooler.

or maybe the thermal paste got dried after many years (maybe 6?) and cooler/cpu surface has air pockets.

But my interpretation of that screenshot from whysoslow is that your CPU is reaching that temp (87) under 100% load, and not under 20% load as you think (that's the average cpu load).

Regardless, that temp is high even under 100% so if you are technical guy, see reviews how to open the laptop and reapply the cooler to CPU using thermal paste + de-dust. If not, seek some laptop repairs shop that can do a better professional job...

Will try that utility on a similar-ish pavilion laptop and post so that we compare...