Help - PC with multiple issues - Driver related??

wizkid6959

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hey,

My computer is having so many issues and I can't figure out how to fix it. It has been going on for more than a month, and the issues have been random so I can never understand how to fix it.

I've talked to Microsoft help center multiple times and they try to fix 1 problem and another shows up and it never really gets resolved.

The only error I get is the BSOD when I try to shut down/restart my computer ocassionaly. The error message I get is "Driver Power State Failure"

The issues that I been having so far

1) Speakers from the monitor is not working. It is attached via HDMI. It works when I first start up my computer, but then it stops working (driver disappears). I do not see the driver anymore in driver manager.
2) My keyboard randomly works with windows app. It works fine normally, but when I try to type in any app or in edge it doesn't work. This happens very randomly. It works when I first start up the computer, but then stops and then will start working again.
3) This has only happened once, but my HDD was not recognized. I have an SSD where the OS is installed and a HDD for files. It stopped working one day when I resumed from standby. I couldn't locate the drive anymore. But when I restarted the computer, it worked again
4) Computer sometimes does not shut off. The monitor goes off, but I hear the computer still running, so I have to force shut it by holding down the power button.
5) Rarely (happened once) the computer won't stay off. I would shut down and it would turn right back on again. I eventually force shut it down by holding down power button and it remained off.

I updated all my drivers and there are still issues.
I updated the graphic drivers many times, changing it from different versions, but there are still issues

Can anyone help me with this?

I don't know if it is a component issue. I built my computer in May and it was working perfectly until September. I think it might have been the new windows 10 update, but I am not entirely sure. I don't think the issues appear right when I updated, maybe a few days or a week later.

I am lost with what to do since these issues are so random.

I am not sure what tests to run either to troubleshoot or debug this issue.

Specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
CPU = Intel i5-6600k
RAM = Gskill red 2x 8gb
MB = Gigabyte Z170x gaming

Solution
New Technology Operating System Kernel (NTOSKRNL) is not likely to be the problem, it just gets the blame. Windows won't work without it. One of its jobs is to perform driver requests.

One thing that might bypass your speaker problem is turn off fast startup - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
that will mean PC turns off when you shut it down at night, its currently using hibernate and the sound driver doesn't appear to be written to cope with that.

Have you got this: https://www.asus.com/au/Commercial-Monitors/VN248H/HelpDesk_Download/ Win 10 should have drivers for monitor but it seems something goes missing when you use sleep

look, instead of wasting your time, I would follow the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you download and run who crashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will give us a summary of the BSOD and might show a driver name

Copy/paste results in here

1. What graphics card are you using? Try downloading latest drivers for it as HDMI sound run through the GPU
2. IS keyboard a gaming keyboard or a basic one? Windows did release driver updates for mouse/keyboard a few weeks ago so its probably that.
3. Don't worry about one off problems, only worry if it happens a few times in a row.
4. perhaps update the BIOS, it could resolve this.
5. see 3.

wizkid6959

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

1) I don't have a graphics card. I am using the one that came with the MOBO. I have updated the graphic driver, but it doesn't resolve the issue.
2) I have a logitech g810 orion spectrum keyboard

Here are my results of the analysis. The crashes only happens when I turn off my computer. It takes around 10 minutes to shut down, and then it crashes and give me the BSOD. Often I don't wait for it to crash so I just force shut down by holding down the power button.

Thank you

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17054416896 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 10/19/2016 4:57:32 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101916-9578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A2C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFD908A72C9040, 0xFFFFF80050B23900)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/12/2016 11:11:44 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101216-8421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A2B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFC48976B6A040, 0xFFFFF800C80DA900)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/12/2016 3:15:35 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101216-6781-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFF978490CE1800, 0xFFFFF801592DA900)

On Sat 10/8/2016 1:35:54 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100816-7515-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Thu 9/22/2016 5:12:36 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092216-7437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A0B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE5873F02F040, 0xFFFF8E80AAEDC900)

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Colif

Win 11 Master

wizkid6959

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Do you know what ntoskrnl.exe is? Can that be the problem?

I update my bios and update the keyboard and the problem still isn't resolved. I will try to follow the steps for the link tomorrow when I have time. But I believe that all my drivers are up to date. It might be a hardware problem?

One consistent problem is that when I turn off my computer and turn it on, my speakers on my monitor work. If I standby, and turn it back on, the driver will be missing and not work. If I restart my computer, it will work again.

So when I turn on my computer, my default sound is "ASUS VN248" Intel(R) Display Audio. My other sound device is "Speakers" Sound blaster Recon3Di. So when I standby, and turn it back on, the ASUS audio is gone and only Soundblaster is available. When I go to device manager, it has an yellow triangle exclamation on the icon of the ASUS audio. And it says "No drivers are installed for this device"

wizkid6959

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Also for the event detail on the sound driver is this: Device not migrated

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{1f2bede4-472e-475e-9996-d6f3a1194cab} could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{96609D28-016E-49DB-9ACF-F27217E8260F}
Class Guid: {C166523C-FE0C-4A94-A586-F1A80CFBBF3E}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
Present: false

Colif

Win 11 Master
New Technology Operating System Kernel (NTOSKRNL) is not likely to be the problem, it just gets the blame. Windows won't work without it. One of its jobs is to perform driver requests.

One thing that might bypass your speaker problem is turn off fast startup - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
that will mean PC turns off when you shut it down at night, its currently using hibernate and the sound driver doesn't appear to be written to cope with that.

Have you got this: https://www.asus.com/au/Commercial-Monitors/VN248H/HelpDesk_Download/ Win 10 should have drivers for monitor but it seems something goes missing when you use sleep

look, instead of wasting your time, I would follow the posting instructions here and ask them as they have more people who can read memory dumps and will help you faster than I can: http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

Solution

Brendan_1009

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
I've been having various issues with my pc and was wondering if you know what to do, Colif. So whenever I turn on my pc and get into the windows login screen, it seems like its random but the keyboard and mouse sometimes dont work, sometimes on works and one doesnt, or sometimes they both work. Ive also had issues where restarting was stuck in a loop and it said DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE. My razer mouse just isnt working, while my other logitech mouse works just fine. Im dieing here lol, I was wondering if you know the solutions to any of these problems. Ill probably end up seeing a local technician to figure out the problem.

Brendan_1009

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Thankyou

Computer name: DESKTOP-6RB7JPQ
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170-AR
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17100189696 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

And I cant repair synapse because of a lost msi file I'll talk to you tomorrow

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is interesting, no errors recorded. And yet you have had DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE which makes me think there should be a dump for that,

Reasons for no dump files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/130536
It is difficult to diagnose a BSOD without a dump file

generally a driver power state failure is caused because a device driver was told to go to a low power state, (sleep) then It was told to wake up and it did not respond. NOw win 10 doesn't turn off when you shut it down, it goes into hybred hibernate so that start up is a lot faster as half the programs you had open when you turned it off are still in ram.

Now you need to update drivers, I cannot tell you which one as I don't have a dump file.

You can try turning off Fast Startup as it is the process that controls what PC does at shutdown, if you turn it off the PC will turn off and when you turn it on it will be a little slower as its not waking from a sleep but was actually off. This might by pass that error but its not the real solution, just a bypass: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download AI Suite from https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-AR/HelpDesk_Download/ under utilities and run EZ Update, it will check asus web site and make sure you have latest drivers: http://www.asus.com/AU/support/FAQ/1012152

I wouldn't use it to update bios, I still prefer to boot into bios and do it myself as hate to have windows crash while flashing bios.

wish my PC had that, why did I buy a Z97 and not wait a few months... oh yeah, i didn't know it was coming and needed a PC now :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try turning off fast startup? that should help with the error at start up

Have a read of this and take notice of the warnings: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

Most of the problems sound like out dated drivers, driver verifier will help you work out which ones it is

Unless technician comes to your house, he won't help with the razer mouse thing as he won't have a razer mouse where he is. that is the problem with peripherals as if you have a device that is faulty, and don't realise its the mouse and not the PC that is broken, the shop won't find anything wrong and yet 30 minutes later it will be doing same things again.

He can still upgrade drivers for you and BIOS if you haven't yourself,

Brendan_1009

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Could a mouse driver make cause this? Because everything was fine until I Uninstalled a mouse driver and the uninstall froze. My razer mouse was not syncing with synapse and I Uninstalled it from the mouse section of device manager

Colif

Win 11 Master
At this stage, I could believe Synapse can cause anything. I have seen it ignore keys on keyboards even though they worked fine without Synapse installed, it has happened to me and others. I had a razer keyboard until about March this year, when a key just stopped working consistently - the W key, and its hard to type without one.

i have had problems with its software before, they would try to install selves while win 10 was installing and that caused all sorts of fun to fix, and I now think I am biased against it in some ways (I try to avoid answering questions about Razor because of this). I had a razer mouse also about 4 years ago (At one stage I had razer mouse/kb at same time) but I can't recall software being so bad then. I stopped using the mouse for other reasons. I now have a Logitech keyboard and Steelseries Sensei mouse (with built in drivers) so I can avoid synapse

if you don't get any errors using the logitech mouse, I would have to say its the Razer software causing this.

Are you still using the Razor mouse?

Brendan_1009

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
I ordered a logitech mouse from amazon and also used another mouse and it's just the razer mouse that doesn't work. And I can't delete the razer folder from my program files because it always says that it's in use and I don't know why. I still have the driver power failure issue I'll try and get it to crash again and run who crashed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you uninstall the Synapse application via Control panel > Programs > Add/remove programs? It should have removed the folders for you.

Some more ideas: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-to-remove-razer-drivers-effects-completely.197136/

If you have done this already, try this - see if we can delete razer drivers in safe mode

from desktop, go to settings/update & security/recovery/restart PC now
this loads you into advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode
Try to remove the Razer folders from here, as they shouldn't be in use

Colif

Win 11 Master
I hate unexpected errors... PC shouldn't freeze in safe mode.

You remember that technician you mentioned? It might be faster for you but maybe take the razor mouse along and attach it to PC while they fix it to replicate your problems. Or not since you bought new mouse.

Since we never got a who crashed report, it might be something else I cannot see.