Problems trying to get AMD Freesync to work with various games (DOOM, Overwatch, Borderlands 2, etc..)

chupababa

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys, i recently bought a Freesync monitor to pair with my MSI Rx 480 4gb. Here is my system as of now:

ASUS VG245H @ 75hz with Freesync
MSI Rx 480 4gb
MSI z77ma-g45
16gb ddr3 1333 RAM
i5 2400 @ 3.5ghz
Cooler Master Hyper t4
Samsung 850evo 500gb
Rosewill green series 630w

Freesync is on both in my monitor and amd catalyst options. I tried to cap my fps through msi afterburner to 74 but it doesnt seem to be working, also tried the Frame Rate Target Limit in amd catalyst but that doesnt cap anything either.
Turning on Vsync (tested in DOOM) does cap the fps to 75 but gives me mouse delay and it acts the same as it did when i was on my old 60hz monitor. I have read that you need to have vsync turned off when using freesync.
i have also tried the windmill demo and it works perfectly with vsync off but these settings do not carry over into anything else i use.

main concerns, Frame rate target limit in catalyst doesnt do anything, turning on vsync gives me mouse delay, dont even know if im utilizing Freesync (dropped $200 more dollars for that with this monitor)

Can anybody help me get this working correctly?
Thanks a lot guys

frank_hnd

Honorable
The main downside to FreeSync is that it only activates within a certain FPS range, which varies by monitor. The VG245H has a FreeSync range of 40hz-75hz, meaning the benefits of FreeSync will only activate if your game’s frame rate (FPS) is within this range.

Dipping below or above this range will result in FreeSync being disabled, going back to traditional V-Sync implementation. AMD introduced Low Framerate Compensation (LFC) to extend the range of FreeSync’s capabilities beyond this limitation, however the technology only applies to monitors where the maximum refresh rate is ≥ 2.5x minimum refresh rate. Due to this requirement, the VG245H would not be able to take advantage of LFC. Using Radeon Crimson drivers, you can set a target FPS range in order to take advantage of FreeSync. FreeSync would operate best if you are able to keep your frame rates consistently above 40 FPS.

chupababa

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

This really didnt answer anything. Sorry, im not trying to sound like an ass but in the OP i said that setting the target fps range didnt work, as i already know that capping at 75 would get freesync working within range.

Poobbwx

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016

I do not have an answer but can I ask what your setting are on your Asus VG245H. I just bought one as well and I'm looking for good settings to get the most out of it.

komornik84

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Hey man, maybe is little late for the answer, but i had the same problem as You.

I have msi rx 480 and monitor with freesync 40-75Hz LG UM68-P.

Doom has two api, open gl and vulcan, on opengl freesync is working, You just have to lock framerate on for example RivaTuner at 74fps, freesync on at drivers, freesync on at monitor and vsync off at the game, and its fine, no screen terring etc.

But when we change api at vulcan, screen terring is back again even when its lock at 74 fps on rivatuner, the game generate those 74fps but still i see screen terring.

So at the moment i guess that freesync is working in open gl, but its not working on vulcan.