Page fault in nonpaged area

palmerrulzah

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Hi

Since early September my pc has been intermittently getting a PAGE_FAULT_IN NONPAGED_ AREA BSOD.

At first I had a 2012 build a month ago with the same hard drive / ssd storage.

I frequently getting these errors and did some googling, found out it could be a ram problem, so I got some new DDR3 ram, didn't work.

Tried replacing the graphics card with an ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC, but I kept getting the error.

Tried reinstalling Windows multiple times, still got the error.

Bought a whole new system (see below), keep getting the error.

Researched the topic and found windows defender could be the problem, so I disabled that. Kept getting the error.

Found that resetting the page file could fix it. I did this and keep getting the error

Now I'm starting to think it's the hard drives or ssd's, so I've ordered an Intel 600p 512 M.2 SSD and I hope by replacing the ssd's with this it may fix the problem.
What else can I do to diagnose this. I have no errors in device manager, I can't figure this out.
This error happens randomly, sometimes it will happen 3 times in a row, sometimes it wont happen for 2-8 hours.

SYSTEM:
ASRock Z170 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 6700K
Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
Corsair RM850i 80Plus Gold 850W Modular Power Supply
ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC
Corsair 600T Case
Samsung S34E790C 34"" QHD VA Curved Ultrawide Monitor

Corsair Force 3 SSD
Kingston SV300S37A120G Ssd
(SSDS Checked with ssdlife pro and scanned for errors, no issues found)

3 WD Drives
Seagate Drive

Yr5vh

Solution
Managed to fix the issue.

For anyone else who had this problem, I forgot to add in earlier posts that I bought an ASUS PCE-AC68 card.
Turns out that multiple people have had issues with the current driver version of this card. Downgraded to an earlier version and it fixed the issue.

Oh well, at least I have a nice pc now haha.
The best solution if you keep getting windows page filing errors and your system has more than 8Gb of physical ram fitted.
Plus the working Os is running from a SSD on your system is to disable the page filing for the working os drive.

Page filing is only used when the physical ram of the system you have free is bellow about 10 % of the total ram available to the working os.

Page filing is also known as the windows swap file, and the reasons for the errors can also be when a custom page file size setup for the working drive is less than recommended when the option is enabled or the drive in question is full and again only has 15 to 10% of free storage space free or available, then you will encounter lots of PAGE_FAULT_IN NONPAGED AREA messages in windows os.

palmerrulzah

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Managed to fix the issue.

For anyone else who had this problem, I forgot to add in earlier posts that I bought an ASUS PCE-AC68 card.
Turns out that multiple people have had issues with the current driver version of this card. Downgraded to an earlier version and it fixed the issue.

Oh well, at least I have a nice pc now haha.

Solution

Czenisek

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

Thanks for posting this follow-up about the Asus wifi card. I never would have considered that and I have been struggling with the same problem.

palmerrulzah

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012

Glad I could be of help.