Strange reboot (no BSOD) problem after GTX1060 installation

Fryseboks

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Hi.

About a week ago I purchased and installed an ASUS GTX1060 3GB edition, replacing my older GTX570.

For a day or two, everything went fine. Then I started getting reboots when alt-tabbing from games, and watching youtube.

I cleaned up the interior of the PC, rearranged and optimized cables & connections and switched around which 8pin slot on the PSU I used for the GTX1060. The GTX1060 only requires one 6pin (I used 8pin to 6+2pin), while my old GTX570 used both an 8pin and a 6pin.

The problem seemingly went away for 2 days or so until refacing. I did the same thing, i.e switching up the 8pin connection, and it worked, again for 2 days, until it didn't.

Now the strange thing is, the reboots have never happened under "heavy" loads on either the GPU or the PSU. I can play DOOM on max settings for hours and it won't reboot. Firing up a youtube video however will, alongside browsing some specific sites (I'm writing this post from the PC in question).

My specs are:
Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor, 2.8GHz stock
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156
Crucial DDR3 1333MHz, 2GBx4
Chieftec Super Series 650W PSU
ASUS GTX1060 3GB

Now, being that I could temporarily fix this problem with simply switching around which PSU connections I used, I figured it was a strong indicator of that the PSU was starting to die. This wouldn't be strange either, considering I've used it for 7 years now under not exactly ideal conditions (it was chock full of dust when I cleaned it), and it's not an amazing PSU to begin with. I've already gone ahead and ordered a new PSU (Corsair RM650x). The PSU is also making some strange noises.

Hopefully this will fix it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar, i.e rebooting without any BSOD or dump file creation when watching youtube vids, but not when running games on max for hours?

tbognar76

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Hi,
Having a same strange behavior like you have. Using a MSI GTX1060 3GB and Cooling Master M600. Is the psu change solved your problem ?
Tamas

Fryseboks

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah it solved it completely. My guess is that since the GTX1060 3GB only uses one 6pin (which is 75W max, in addition to the 75W max from the PCI-E slot), it is much more sensitive to voltage/power drops due to an an old/faulty PSU than compared to my old GTX570 which used a 6pin and an 8pin power connector.