Closed

'Skype & Type' Attack Shows Feasability Of Acoustic Eavesdropping In VoIP Calls

Security researchers from three universities studied how they could intercept keyboard keystrokes through a VoIP call. Their research resulted in an acoustic eavesdropping attack that has an accuracy of up to 91.7%.

'Skype & Type' Attack Shows Feasability Of Acoustic Eavesdropping In VoIP Calls : Read more
5 answers Last reply
More about skype type attack shows feasability acoustic eavesdropping voip calls
  1. So now there is a security concern that can be used to ban blue switches, other loud keyboards and speaker phones form the office.

Good
  2. Skype uses resources from your PC when its idle to no point in even keeping it on unless you are using it.
    But yeah, some of this crap is starting to look scary.
  3. cats_Paw said:
    Skype uses resources from your PC when its idle to no point in even keeping it on unless you are using it.
    But yeah, some of this crap is starting to look scary.

If I'm understanding this "Eavesdropping attack" correctly the only thing scary about this is the sensationalized media reporting it. Use a voice canceling MICROPHONE and turn the volume just high enough so only YOUR voice is heard, then there is no way for skype(or anything else) to drop eaves on you.

I remember years ago before LCDs became mainstream and there were similar concerns of being able to reproduce the image on a CRT monitor by the EM radiation it gave off and it was suggested to put the CRT monitor in a Faraday cage of course the fact that in order to do that the person dropping eaves had to be sitting next to you or in the cube directly next to yours.
  4. Skype was good until Microsoft bought/took it. The first thing MS did after obtaining Skype was to re code it to allow their overlords in the FED/NSA easy access to eavesdrop in on people. Don't believe me, look it up.
  5. I use a mechanical keyboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security