Windows 10 slowing down / fully freezing over time

JortC

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, and initially I was very happy with it.
Soon after though, I started to experience a lot of slowdown. My PC would start to run incredibly slow even though I didn't have a lot of programs running.
I typically use the same programs just about every day, and on 8.1 have never even experienced the slightest stutter, not even with 15+ Chrome tabs open and a ton of other programs running.
Now it seems to happen gradually over time, I reboot in the morning and it is fast again, then around night time it grinds to a halt and I often times have to actually manually switch it off because it freezes entirely.

I tried googling, but the only suggestion I found was to change the paging file settings. I changed those to the "windows recommended" size, which initially seemed to work better, but then I started getting "insufficient memory" error popups instead of slowdown, which is not much better.

Here are my specs:
Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING motherboard
8GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

All of my drivers are fully up to date.

If I can still manage to open up my task manager when the slowdown is happening, I can see that memory usage is typically 97+%. I'm assuming I have a memory leak somewhere, but how can I go about figuring out which program it is, and how to fix it? I suffered the same issue before on Windows 8.1 with my 'Killer network' drivers, which were not up to date at the time:
https://bluebluewave.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/memory-leak-in-windows-8-1-with-killer-e2200-and-windows-network-data-usage-monitoring/

Edit: I just found out that my Killer Network Drivers are apparently not up to date, even though I am using the MSI Live Update application that came with my motherboard. When I scan it says my Killer Network Drivers are v1.1.57.1125 and that they are up to date. When I go to their website I see there is a v1.1.64.1737. I will try updating them manually and see if that fixes my problem.

Edit 2: Another thing I've noticed is that my Windows explorer will glitch out every once and a while, even when there is no real slowdown. My taskbar will simply disappear and then reappear after 10-15 seconds. Very strange and unnerving.

Solution
I would back up data regularly and if this was an update installation, I would back everything up and then do a clean installation from a USB media creation tool HERE and then load the latest drivers (you can download them all before the clean install if you have a spare USB stick).

RealBeast

Titan
I would back up data regularly and if this was an update installation, I would back everything up and then do a clean installation from a USB media creation tool HERE and then load the latest drivers (you can download them all before the clean install if you have a spare USB stick).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS