New Computer build boots straight to UEFI after windows 10 install

Jtafur19

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm having an issue after completing my new build. After I installed all my components, I booted up the pc. I confirmed that my computer recognizes my cpu, memory, ssd etc. I ended up downloading windows 10 on a flashdrive 2.0 with hopes to install it on my fresh computer. The install of windows went through all the steps perfectly. The last step was to do an auto reboot. After the reboot, the computer keeps loading back into the UEFI.
To make sure, I went through the install process of windows again. I deleted the partitions and did it on a fresh drive again, with the same results. Any idea what this could be? The specifics of the computer are as follows

Asus Z170-A ATX DDR4 Mobo
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core Skylake
2X 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2400
EVGA SuperNova 650 G1 GOLD 650W PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 106- 6GB GDDR GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5 Sata III SSD

Solution

IF you perform the diskpart steps i mentioned, you will end up with an SSD that has no residual info, ergo it will work as with a new drive.
Follow these steps adn you will succeed:

Download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ and make a bootable USB wiht it.

Get the latest drivers from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005
File: f6flpy-x64.zip. Unzip it to a folder on a USB drive(it can be the one with windows on it).

Disconnect all other drives except the one you are installing to.

Go into the BIOS and disable "CSM" and enable "Secure boot" in the Boot section.

Start the install and when it asks where to install hit "have disk" and point it to the folder you put the above files in.

**WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL WIPE AND ENTIRE DISK, NOT JUST A PARTITION**

Then hit SHIFT+F10 and:
diskpart
list disk
select disk x(where x is the drive in case)
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

Hit refresh, select the clean drive, and the "new". Windows will create several partitions and auto-select the correct one to install to(you can also set the size of the partition after hitting "new", but you don't need to if you are using the whole drive).

Jtafur19

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
So it turns out, that because I used an SSD that I had previously used another build, the computer wouldn't Boot to windows.
Despite the fact that I reformatted it, the computer would just keep booting to the BIOS.
The minute I installed a brand new SSD, the computer would boot straight to Windows 10

RealBeast

Titan
Right, check that SSD to see if has a MBR format, a new SSD would have none so would allow Windows 10 to format it as GPT as the other posters suggested.

IF you perform the diskpart steps i mentioned, you will end up with an SSD that has no residual info, ergo it will work as with a new drive.

Solution