$RECYCLE.BIN,Faded folders in C drive.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I just got a new laptop. HP 15 Notebook ay014ne.I downloaded some softwares and then installed them.Then after i installed codeblocksmingw setup(i downloaded it from sourceforge,friend said its good to learn c++ so i did). Then the boot up started to become slow. there were many desktop.ini files. It was annoying so ideleted them from where ever i could find them. In c drive there were a few drives that were faded out which i did not find until the laptop started showing signs it had virus. Then i deleted a few folders not knowing what they are. Right now I dont know what to do,Could someone help me remove the virus.

Solution
it doesn't sound like a virus, it sounds self inflicted. Since laptop is so new, just do a reset on it.

A few drives faded out on C? Do you mean the hard drive itself or C partition? If you mean the drive and you were looking at Drive Management, Win 10 creates 4 partitions when its installed, only one is where windows is but the other 3 are needed for windows to boot (EFI) and for installing windows, and patches.

Does it still boot? If it doesn't, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
on Next screen choose Reset this PC

If desktop...

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't sound like a virus, it sounds self inflicted. Since laptop is so new, just do a reset on it.

A few drives faded out on C? Do you mean the hard drive itself or C partition? If you mean the drive and you were looking at Drive Management, Win 10 creates 4 partitions when its installed, only one is where windows is but the other 3 are needed for windows to boot (EFI) and for installing windows, and patches.

Does it still boot? If it doesn't, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
on Next screen choose Reset this PC

If desktop still works, go to settings/update & security/recovery/reset this PC - should be a factory reset option. Randomly deleting desktop files isn't a good idea, if you want windows to keep working anyway.

Solution

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Sorry there were some 'files' that were faded. Anyway I freaked and reset the whole laptop. But now the drives that were pre-installed when I got the laptop is lost. So when i went to the hp website i found the drivers. But another problem. There were drivers which had two versions of it. One is a normal file and the other is for Windows 10 v1607. I dont know which to choose.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Run windows update. get the cumulative update and it might give you the anniversary edition

right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter
If you have build 1607, you can get those drivers

if you don't have 1607, go to Here and press update now, that will download the upgrade assistant. Run it and it will install the latest build of win 10, which is 1607.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Thanks.I got it to 1607.Couldn't reply earlier since i was a bit busy.Sorry.I've installed the 1607v files.Thank you.One more question though how do I know which version of directx is installed in my laptop?(i've read in the microsoft page that with win10 - directx 11.3 and directx 12 are pre-installed).Still SanAndreas requests me to install directx 9.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Also I needed help in choosing graphic drivers.
http://support.hp.com/emea_middle_east-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/10862300/model/11968424
This is the hp site from where i download the drivers.And in the Driver-Graphics section there are three options.
1)Intel HD Graphics Driver - Braswell (Windows 10 v1607)
2)Intel HD Graphics Driver 520 - Skylake (Windows 10 v1607)
3)Intel HD Graphics Driver 5500 - Broadwell (Windows 10 v1607)
I do not know which one of these to select. But if I am correct its the Skylake.My processor is Intel Core i7-6500U.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you not sure which CPU you have, download speccy free version from here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy
run it and look in summary, it will have CPU model at top of page

Intel® Core™ i7-6500U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)
Processor family: 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05169174.pdf

Each cpu may be in a different family
Here are whats in each
Braswell: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/66094/Braswell#@All
Skylake: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/37572/Skylake#@All
Broadwell: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/38530/Broadwell#@All

easiest way probably just find CPU name and then search the intel ark site, it will tell you which family it belongs to

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
And since this is my first laptop,any advises on how to take care of it.Also I've read in many websites that you should not charge your laptop completely always but only upto 80% and we should not completely discharge it but bring it down to 40% at the max.And we should discharge and recharge it completly once a month.What do you say about it?Right now for a few months I will be always at home so I use it for more than 10 hours.So i wait for the battery to come down till 10% then charge till 100% and then unplug.This happens once a day.And I also read that we should not leave a laptop completly charged or discharged.Do tell what to do about it.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Ok.Also I had received a pre installed software in my laptop. 1)Cyberlink Power Media Player and 2)Cyberlink Power Director.After I reset the whole laptop i had to reinstall both.The media player has installed but the powerdirector has not.I double click the setup and it asks for permission then nothing happens.I contacted hp and they tried to do it through a different user account and many other stuff like emptying temp and prefetch but it still didnt work.They gave me links to older version to download and install.Do you have know how to go about it?

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
It's apparently the 14th version.Also I think CyberlinkPower Media Player is enough for video and audio player right?Any good media player you know other than vlc.(not windows media player).

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I usually play audio files like mp3 or so.My laptop wifi isn't connecting.
My computer was not connecting to google properly since a few months.When I try to search something it shows the error that it is not connected to the internet and the same issue started with youtube.So i called the internet maintanence guys and they reset the modem and fixed the problem.But now my laptop isnt connecting to the wifi.My sister's laptop is connecting.My phone and my tablet is connecting too.Not my laptop wifi.It asks for password.Then it comes verifying and connecting then it comes unable to connect.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

These are the list of softwares I had installed after I reset my laptop.I went to the hp support site and saw these drivers for my laptop and I installed them all.Also some extra ones too.I am gonna install some more i.e.1)Wondershare Filmora(free version).2)Java.3)Java SE Development Kit.3)Codeblocks.4)Freemake Video Converter.5)Freemake Youtube Downloader.6)Libre Office.7)Netbeans.8)Codeblocks.
Could you advice on any installations that i have done is useless or a better replacement?

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
OK.Wondershare filmora is a video editing software so is ezvid.But could you suggest a good one thats free.There are a lot of them and youtube instead of helping its confusing me.Wondershare I dont like much but ezvid seems fine but wanted your avice.I dont do much video editing but would love to try and get into it.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hello. I just downloaded a software Furmark to test my GPU.But its not detecting my AMD Radeon R7 M440.
How do i know its activated or not.Its only detecting the intel graphics.

Abiel Francis

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Yeah I do have hp Support Assistant.But in system requirements lab it shows GPU as AMD Radeon R7 M440 so it might be working also I can play Assassins Creed Revelations so the AMD GPU has to be enabled.