Cant select a browser as default and cant open links because of it

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
So suddenly i cant set a browser to a default, ive tried almost everything other than doing it from another account on the pc since i cant do that(another error)

this alone isnt a huge issue for me, what is though is this
http://imgur.com/a/ihbNW

this happens to every link i press in anything, nothing that opens a browser actually opens a browser.

what should i do?

Solution
You should be able to restore back to a point before Windows 10 Anniversary Update was installed. Key word there being, "should".

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
In the Windows 10 search, bottom left, type in "settings" and click enter.
Click on the "System" icon.
Then, in the left list of options, click on "Default Apps"
Scroll down and click the link for "Choose default apps by file type".
Scroll down through the list until you find ".HTM" and ".HTML".
Change those options to use your preferred browser.

-Wolf sends

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

didint work

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

rebooted and it still didint do anything, it still says that they are defualt for .html and .htm but still the same thing happens

Wolfshadw

Titan
What does it say is the app for those extensions? Mine looks like this:

Default%20Apps_zpsnchhlovv.jpg

-Wolf sends

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

it dosent let me change back to another browser after defualt apps by file type...............

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Let's try this (similar to above):

In the Windows 10 search, bottom left, type in "settings" and click enter.
Click on the "System" icon.
Then, in the left list of options, click on "Default Apps"
This time, scroll down to the bottom and select "Set Defaults by App".
In the Window that opens, scroll down to your preferred web browser.
Click the link, "Choose Defaults for this program".
Make sure .htm and .html are selected under extensions and the HTTP and HTTPS are selected under protocols.
Click save, close out and reboot your system.

If that doesn't work, then I would probably recommend a format in reinstall of windows.

-Wolf sends

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

i did that, it just turns back to what it was set to again

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

welp it works now, problem is now my taskbar dosent work, search and the windows button dont open their respective menus, only their right click menus ;/

i guess you cant get them all.....

(edit: if you can fix this

i have tried restarting windows explorer, several powershell commands,
the pressing the windows button will create an error sound

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

:(, is there anyway to save all the apps to my external harddrive and restore them if i reinstall windows?

im a noob at clean installs, do you have a guide or something i could follow?

reinstalling windows should only affect the c drive right where windows is installed?
that would wipe everything on there right?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would note, due to the time involved saving data files, bookmarks, e-mails and such and reinstalling all your applications, this is only to be the VERY LAST resort. I'd probably go ahead and start a new thread, asking for any additional help and a link back to this thread. If another moderator gives you any grief, point them my direction.

Anything that's been installed will need to be reinstalled when you perform a clean installation, however, I believe there is a way to save Steam games (not sure).

A clean install is performed by inserting your Windows 10 Medai (USB or DVD) and booting from it. Then it's just a matter of performing a normal installation. When asked where you want to install the OS, there should be an "Advanced Options" link. Clicking that should provide you with the option to remove/format your C: Drive and perform a clean install. Any other drives will not be affected, but applications that you installed onto an external drive will need to be reinstalled as well as registry settings and environment variables have been wiped.

Before you do this, is this a custom build or an off-the-shelf system?

-Wolf sends

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

custom built, im pretty sure nothings wrong with the machine itself because it only started to behave this way after downloading windows 10 anniversary, i could restore that before the update and check maybe if that works right or it is now corrupt?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did he try control panel/Programs/Default programs/Set default program
Scroll through list to Google Chrome (for instance)
highlight it and click "Set this program as default - Use the selected program to open all file types and protocols that it can by default

I had to do this to set Chrome as default as the other way just ignored me and would set nothing as default rather than let me swap it away from Edge.

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

thats already been solved.... altought the result is more errors

kurdin

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

managed to solve it by installing classicshell, it seems that the functions still worked the only thing being that the taskbar redirected to the wrong thing, that led to the error sound

TRENDING THREADS