Home Network Design Advice Needed

TolaPC

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I am try to redesign my Home Network for performance and security. I am also trying to learn as much as possible in Networking so I will really appreciate all and any advice and assistance I get.

My networking components are a cable modem (Cisco DPC3008), Router (Asus AC1900) and a switch (Netgear GS105).

I am using the switch to connect my PS4 and Android Kodi Box.

My devices that are regularly connected to my wifi consist of a Desktop, Cameras, CellPhones, ChromeCasts, Android Kodi Box, Laptops and Tablets. I am most likely missing other devices.

I have a Desktop and a printer connected directly to the Router.

Currently, everything is on one network nothing is subnetted and I have no VLANs.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
For a typical single family residence, no subnetting or VLAN is needed or desired.

As many that can be wired with Cat5e, do that.
WiFi for anything else.
No reason your current router can't handle those devices.

Have the WiFi source central in the house. And NOT in the basement or attic.

Here is some good info about securing your home network:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3098406/home-cybersecurity-recommendations.html

I agree with USAFRet. Sounds like you already have some good networking gear. I also agree you need to try to get as much off of wireless as possible to increase performance. The best thing is to get anything static off of wireless and use wireless only for devices that move around. If you can't pull ethernet cable to devices, look into things like powerline adapters, MOCA adapters, and lastly could be a wireless bridge. For instance if you have two or three wireless devices that you don't move around but they are real close to each other, you can get a wireless bridge and connect all your devices to the bridge with an ethernet cable. Having one device talk wirelessly for multiple devices is more efficient than having each device talk wirelessly for itself. If you can't get all those devices off wireless, I would certainly concentrate on first getting the cameras off wifi. Next would be streaming devices.

Agreed with others.

No need for VLAN's, wired preferred over wireless.

If at all possible, getting the camera's off wifi is very good, even better if cameras are POE then you can power them via the same ethernet cable.
The pure concept of having a camera on WiFi bugs me for both a security and reliability standpoint.

The AC1900 router of ASUS (assuming AC68_ (W, R, P, or U) is a very good router and is what I use as well. You can very easily install ASUSMerlin on it to unlock its full potential.

TolaPC

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Thank you all for the prompt recommendations.

The router is AC68P.

Unfortunately, the cameras are not POE ... They are just wifi ... Arlo Q ... I do get a big delay when looking at the cameras live ... Anyway to remedy this?

I was reading that having the cameras on the same network was a bad idea ... Thats why I was thinking on subnetting and breaking up the network.

I will have to look into PowerLine adapters ... I do have a TV and a Kodi Box that could perhaps share a Powerline adapter ... And a Desktop and another Kodi Box that can share another Powerline adapter.

I do sometimes experience lag when playing my PS4 online ... Is there anyway to remedy this?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

This cannot be stressed enough.
WiFi for 'security cameras' only increases the attack surface.
And you're still running a power cable to the camera, so WiFi makes little sense.

I have a 4 camera setup, but all wired. Not even PoE, but wired directly to their own standalone DVR.
The DVR (Linux based OS) handles all the networking and recording.

TolaPC

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

I totally agree and understand. I needed two cameras for the next day with ease of moving there locations frequently, went to BestBuy they had Arlo Q ... I bought them. They are more of a deterrent at the moment ... When I purchase a house my primary security cameras would definitely not be WiFi.

Ih his case USARef those ARLO cameras have a Lithium battery in them that lasts for a decent time frame so they truley are wireless cameras.

Prior to those I would drop that bombshell on people who ask about the "wifi camera" to avoid running cables and then I would ask them, well how are you going to give it to power?

The best thing you could do is make it so that ONLY the ARLO cameras are on your 2.4 band.
Have you checked with a phone or laptop to see what signal level there is outside for the ARLO cameras?

All laptops and phones should be using the 5.0 ghz band.

Get some 1000mbps or 1200mbps powerline adapters and some network switches.
Then you can have a wired backbone to your LR Entertaimnet Center with your TV, Kodi and game consoles, and then do the same for the desktop and other Kodi box.

Putting all of your camera's on its own VLAN is a good idea just for the network separation but your issue is with the wireless resources themsevles.

TolaPC

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

I don't understand. How do I do that?

You can download a WiFi analyzer app for iOS or Android and then take your phone near the camera and see what the signal level is. Anything at -70dBm or bellow is really low.

or if not possible add smaller router sub-netting it to the first (Lan to Lan method) and run the cameras on that router only (basically using that router only to manage traffic of the Wi-Fi from cameras and running through main router through wired solution (yes I can be creative at time but it does alleviate traffic on main Wi-Fi router, channels and bands are then what's need to be configured right. but I have 5 cameras at home and it works :p)

TolaPC

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks ... It fluctuates between -22dBm to -45dBm near the cameras. The cameras are near the router.