Tom's Hardware Popup (Chrome)

I've recently (last week or so) been getting daily popups from Chrome asking if it's ok for Tom's to push notifications to the browser. Is there a way to permanently stop these popups? It's getting very annoying clicking "Block" every time I go to this website.

Solution
Apologies for the delay on this. The issue was actually on our end. We've addressed this and it should no longer be causing problems. (You may have to hit "no"—or maybe "yes!"—one last time).

If this comes up again, please let us know!

Luminary

Admirable
From the Chrome support site: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en

-On your computer, open Chrome.
-At the top right, click More (the three dots) and then Settings.
-At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
-Under "Privacy," click Content settings.
-Under "Notifications," choose one of the following:
-Allow all sites to show notifications: You’ll automatically see notifications from all websites.
-Ask when a site wants to show notifications: You’ll get an alert from Chrome whenever a site wants to show you notifications. This is the default setting.
- Do not allow any site to show notifications: You won’t see any notifications from websites.

You can also block any sites, apps, and extensions that already have permission to send you notifications. Just click Manage exceptions.

jtmunn

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

@nitrium were you able to get this to go away? I have manually blocked tomshardware.com under the Chrome "Privacy > Content > Notifications" settings and set it to Behavior: Block, and it still pops up every day (1st time only) when I visit Tom's.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

No. Mine is still doing it and it's not daily either - EVERY time I close Chrome and revisit Tom's I get the pop-up. I assumed the solution here fixed it and I was too quick in selecting Best Answer. I think it has to do with a Chrome update - for the record I'm running the x64 Beta version.

Unselecting Best Answers will get you banned here (I did this exactly once), so don't do it (and yes, I did ask why the feature exists to do just that if they don't want us to use it).

Anyway, as for the issue, I'm almost certain it do with a Chrome update since other browsers don't do it (Firefox and Edge). Presumably Google will fix it in the next update if enough of us report the bug to the Chrome devs.

jtmunn

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

Sounds good, thanks for the follow-up.

No worries. Reporting bugs on Chrome is very easy. Just click "Help" and "Report an issue" while you're at Tom's showing the problem, and type a bit of text describing what's happening. You can even include a screenshot if you want.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Apologies for the delay on this. The issue was actually on our end. We've addressed this and it should no longer be causing problems. (You may have to hit "no"—or maybe "yes!"—one last time).

If this comes up again, please let us know!

Solution

Great, it's working! Why did it only affect Chrome? For this reason I assumed it was a browser bug and reported it to Google.