Help figuring out a great PoE based outdoor Security Camera system

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi all,

So I'm getting frustrated coming home or waking up in the morning and finding someone's crap on my lawn (today it was a dresser someone wants throw out but garbage dudes won't take it too big...so naturally...they chose my lawn for some odd reason).

I wanted to go with a PoE based CCTV system (unless someone can recommend something thats better) because it's a single cable, many of the PoE systems I see today offer 720p to 1080p quality which is great.

However my concern is clarity in distance. Im willing to shell out up to 1 grand in a proper outdoor system, I only really need 4 cameras but I need to be able to put two of them zoomed in so that I can see who is at the front of my driveway, so im concerned about clarity, the other two will be zoomed out to get full view of the direction person is coming and any license plates.

Night vision needs to be mint too, it's somewhat dark infront of my house despite there being a lampost lol.

I live in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada. So average temperature during winter is around -10 to -15, with getting as low as -23 with a windchill of -35, so I'm hoping the camera will survive because most I've seen is -20 for cameras.

So if there's anything anyone can recommend/has experience with, even some tips for someone setting them up.

Currently my research has brought me to this:
https://www.amazon.ca/1920x1080P-Annke-Weatherproof-Mega-pixels-Technology/dp/B01HR8DZCW/ref=s9_simh_gw_g421_i1_r?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=8K0D2Z4M90FMGDD2H2RZ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b06971ce-9992-44c1-9ee0-eb9792e71b5e&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

opinions?

Really appreciate your time in helping me with this!

jseiler08

Commendable
May 26, 2016

jseiler08

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Not a complete solution, but just a few pointers:
I would go with a Poe that has a built in heater, with a varifocal lens. Varifocal is a one time adjustment, so you would dial it in and leave it. PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) would be an in the fly zoom, but in my opinion, if it moves, it can break. You'll have to do some research on which varifocal you'll need based on the distance. Usually 2.8 to 12mm is sufficient, but your application may differ.
Also, you may not need a dvr at all. Most Poe IP cams have a built in web server to access remotely and usually with software from the manufacturer, allows you to turn any old pc into a DVR.
Also, when adjusting the varifocal, do so at night. When you've achieved the clearest picture at night, it will be awesome during the day.
Night vision is a bit tricky, as most IR's don't illuminate as well as you would like, especially at long distances. You could look into IR bulbs that screw into your flood lights on the eaves, etc. Or possibly install a remote IR light near the problem area. Typically, it's a trial and error process to get it just right as every site is different with its own set of challenges

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

fantastic, thanks so much for the advice. Raised some excellent points, I wasn't aware there were cameras with built in heaters. And a remote IR light is a brilliant idea, I didn't even think of that.

I'll look for a camera with varifocal lens and heating.

Thank you Jseiler!

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
does anyone know if I plug a PoE camera into a cat5e wallport, and the NVR is in my room in the basement hooked to the router, will it NVR detect it?

jseiler08

Commendable
May 26, 2016

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

Brilliant thank you!

jseiler08

Commendable
May 26, 2016

jseiler08

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Well, to be a bit more specific, the IP camera can exist anywhere on the network, (and indeed some networking may be involved) but what's important is that one end of the run is connected to the cam and the other is connected to the Poe switch / Poe injector. A standard router won't pass power to the cam