Stupidly delete Partition MSR Reserved. Please Help.

Leo Saila

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
The problem started with me not being able to install windows 10. I kept on receiving a blue screened message (with a frown face) saying your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. After a lot of re-tries I got frustrated and tired and acted before really knowing what I was doing and deleted that partition called MSR reserve (about 128 mb). It just says Unallocated Space now.

Now I can't even attempt to install windows and my fear is that I made my SSD hard-drive unusable.

My primary is a Samsung 950 M.2 and I also have a Samsung 850 EVO (though windows always says can't install on that drive/partition).

Please someone just tell me if there's anything I can do to recover from this?

Thank you.

Solution
It looks like win 10 used both drives the first time it was installed

this is what a win 10 install should look like on 1 hdd:

Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

But looking at yours its split all 4 partitions over two drives. That is why I told you to remove ssd before reinstalling.

Curious, did you have access to partition 2 on drive 0 as it appears to be in the position the EFI...

Endless8

Respectable
Oct 21, 2016
Well, removing MSR is not a big deal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition. So the problem is somewherre else. When you boot from USB to install your windows delete all partitions, create a new one with full size, windows will create a new partition (system reserved) with 100mb size and the rest will be an empty partition, remove the empty partition and resive the (System reserved 100mb partition to full size) and install windows on it, dont worry about the second drive for now, you will be able to create a new partition in windows.
Idk if I understood well your problem but give it a try.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Like said above you dont need that partition, in fact I just did a clean install of windows on my gaming pc and got rid of that partition as well as all the others and was left with one chunk of unallocated space like you. What are you using to install windows? If its a disc check for scratches, if its on a usb I would delete everything on it and use the windows media creation tool to make a bootable win 10 usb.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would remove ssd from power before fresh installing as win 10 has a habit of putting itself on other drives if they in PC when it installs - it likes to share its efi partition around which can cause issues if you later remove other drive as win 10 won't boot.

Amazed PC won't install on ssd, I thought win 10 preferred them to m.2 drives still

I don't have an MSR partition, I never had one on this install. I didn't know what i was doing when i installed win 10 last time and somehow got it to install everything onto 1 partition. IT has since created a reserve partition after the anniversary update but before then it worked fine without it.

Leo Saila

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel better. At least by the sound of what you guys are saying I didn't screw up any of my hardware.

So right now when I try to install windows I have 4 different partitions:

Drive 0 Partition 1 : System Reserve (About 160 Mb).
Drive 0 Partition 2: 237 Gb (I'm assuming this is my M.2 Samsung 950.
Drive 1 Partition 1: Unallocated Space (About 128 Mb. This used to be the MSR reserve before I deleted it).
Drive 1 Partition 2: 468 Gb (This should be my Samsung 850 Evo).

So if I'm following your suggestions, I should delete everything except for the first one? (160 Mb of System Reserve) But I don't see an option to make everything into a single partition (or maybe I just don't see it).

If I try to install it onto the M.2 at the moment I get an error saying there're files missing and to check them, presumably because I deleted that partition previous. I cannot install onto the 850 Evo at all because it just says Windows cannot install onto Drive 1 Partition 2.

Thanks again for helping.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It looks like win 10 used both drives the first time it was installed

this is what a win 10 install should look like on 1 hdd:

Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

But looking at yours its split all 4 partitions over two drives. That is why I told you to remove ssd before reinstalling.

Curious, did you have access to partition 2 on drive 0 as it appears to be in the position the EFI partition should be and you don't need a 237gb efi partition. I assume you can as in my PC I only had one partition but it did everything, so win 10 can function like that but its strange.

I think to reinstall win 10 on your PC you will need to delete all the partitions (backing up everything first) and then back out of the install process, unplug the ssd from power and install win 10 on the m.2 drive only and then attach ssd after so its purely storage and not linked to the m.2 in any way.

Solution