Windows BSOD changed from WLAN driver to USBPORT.SYS. New WLAN still needed?

evo23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hi folks,

Ever since installing an SSD and WLAN card, I've been getting BSODs every so often. In the post here, it was determined that the WLAN driver, athwnx.sys, was the culprit. No new drivers are available, and while I'm considering just buying a new WLAN card, I tried installing a new antivirus, Avira instead of Avast, as I'd read that can sometimes cause conflicts like these.

Now, I'm getting BSODs, pics, with a different issue related to USBPORT.SYS. I'm wondering if this could still be the WLAN card causing this, and if it's worth buying a new one, or if the problem might be something different?

Would love your opinions.

Thanks!

evo23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

The WLAN is actually a PCIE card, and not a USB, which is why the USB code made me really puzzled and second guessing whether it was WLAN card related or not.

With the drivers you're mentioning, which would be the appropriate one to install? I'm running an i5-760.

evo23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

The motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156.

Which driver would you recommend that I install based on that?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wish the Asus web site was faster, its sooo slow...

Um... you don't have any win 8.1 or 10 drivers to choose from. that is a problem going forward as the last bios was 2012, the more new stuff you buy, the less likely PC will recognise it. replacing wan cards isn't the solution as they aren't the problem really. its the PC doesn't recognise them

you probably (if Asus site ever loads the drivers) be better on win 7 or think about a new PC as support is only going to get worse. edit, yes, lots of win 7 drivers but you can't use them on win 10)

evo23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010

This actually was occuring back before I installed Windows 10, i.e. I'd get the BSODs on Windows 7. I may still have the old network card (it would intermittently drop signals, which is why I installed the new one to begin with). Maybe I'll revert back to that and see if the BSODs stop.

TRENDING THREADS