Computer will not boot after updating to WIndows 10

Cgerbs

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
I was running Windows 10 on my Toshiba Satellite P850-00E laptop, but I had to reformat the whole computer back to Windows 8 (factory-installed OS). I didn't have a chance to make a backup image of the disk before reformatting, but I thankfully preserved most of my personal files.

I was able to get Windows 8 working fine, and used the Windows Media Creation Tool to update my computer back to Windows 10 (according to what I read, if you upgraded operating systems during the free-upgrade period, you could upgrade the same machine again for free). The installer took over, so I left my computer to do its thing. When I came back, my computer was off, so I figured it was finished updating.

I turned on the computer and it showed the Toshiba title screen, and would not go past it. I let it sit like this for several hours, thinking maybe something was going on in the background, and eventually the computer turned off again. I tried to boot up again but found the same behaviour. I have tried several more times, always the same thing. I've also tried booting up while holding down F8, F10 and 0, none have done anything.

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

This is different then doing a factory reset, this is installing a new OS. You can always install Windows 10 and use your Win 8 key. That would be easiest.

If you need a specific version of an OS, it's not impossible to find. Microsoft will have download links for a lot of modern OS'. You'll want to get a USB and craft an entirely new boot disk.

If you need to, follow this guide...

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Sounds like when you went to re-install the OS it fried your Boot Manager. Since you don't have a disk image as you mention, your best bet is to re-install the OS from scratch. This time, observe the process. If something happens or an error is given you'll want to report it back here. There's just not enough information here to suggest anything else.

Either way, once you're back up and running I'd recommend that you back up your data immediately with either a disk imager (Macrium Reflect or a snapshot tool (RollBack Rx)

Cgerbs

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
Thanks LukeFatwalker. I'm not sure how I'm going to reinstall the OS, since I can't access the function that I used last time to restore my computer to the factory image. I don't have a disk or USB with my original OS, it was just from an existing partition on the drive, which I can't get to anymore.

Rataan

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
If you saved your personal files, then I would just do a clean install of Windows 10. You can install it from a USB flash drive and use the code from your Windows 8 copy to activate it. With Windows 10 up and running, you can go to the Toshiba web site and download possibly better drivers than what the Windows 10 install uses, although the default Windows 10 drivers may be good enough for your purposes.

Windows 10 upgrades over an existing OS go bad in a high percentage of cases, so you are not alone in having problems. A clean install is the only way to go, IMO. I have installed Windows 10 on three PC's that I own and in each case the upgrade attempt over the existing OS failed miserably.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

This is different then doing a factory reset, this is installing a new OS. You can always install Windows 10 and use your Win 8 key. That would be easiest.

If you need a specific version of an OS, it's not impossible to find. Microsoft will have download links for a lot of modern OS'. You'll want to get a USB and craft an entirely new boot disk.

If you need to, follow this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Solution