New to PC Building - Guidance to boot

rhodesnc

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016
I have decided to make this a discussion than a Q&A format because I suspect myself to have several problems and informational questions

WARNING: If you cannot tolerate general ineptitude, want to add unconstructive criticism, or are impatient, avoid this thread

Information: First custom desktop. Regular updates as to progress (Day to day). Pictures/additional info at request.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory - Mushkin Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB 6GT OC Video Card
Case - Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

So far: I have attempted to put it all together, and pray that it turned on, no dice (all components were on including fans, no beeps, no signal to monitor). I thought it had been the plastic casing around the CPU, so I removed that, put everything else on, and no dice (all components were on, no beeps, but the LED for the power button on the case was off). I have digested the plethora of new information within all the manuals, but between the two attempts, irregular troubleshooting the top results for new desktop configurations, and general misdirection, I am asking for a step by step assistance as I try to get this Desktop up and running. (Note: On my second attempt, I did use the stickied guide).

So, where to start. I've disassembled for the third time so I can go through each process as cleanly as I can to help narrow down any potential problems.

Where I am: I have installed the CPU (correctly?) into the motherboard.

Next step: I want to hear the beeps that help me identify the condition of the motherboard (that'd be a good start, right?). So that would require me to connect the PSU to the motherboard. I'd prefer to do this outside the case so as to make the pictures clearer without wires in the way.
https://postimg.org/gallery/37vi8ebve/501505b0/

on your first picture i can see somes bent pins on the socket of cpu
remove your cpu carefully and check with a magnifying glass and found theses bent pins
i do not think you can fix it by yourself...

you have a great setup ...maybe take an other picture of the socket and show us ...take the nearest view of the socket please if possible?

try to get an other motherboard for replacement by the warranty (get a RMA ) if possible from where you bought it ...seem defective

its not easy for me to tell you if your cpu is functional or not...i do not know how deep the scratch are..??
but you can wipe it with a kleenex or any soft cloths with alcool for make it more conductive and give a try with your new motherboard , its not a good idea to show your cpu to your seller store right now...just have the new motherboard if it possible ..and after show them your cpu if it does not work ..because i think your warranty will be void by seeing your cpu state.

i am not sure if you understand me , but i tried to simplifying my speach

rhodesnc

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016
Nah man, you have been extremely helpful. At least I have a lead as to why it has not been working. Thanks.