CPU, GPU, RAM, Pagefile Usage spikes

KorkiS

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
My problem is that GPU usage, CPU usage, RAM usage and pagefile spike to high values randomly. Sometimes it happens while watching a stream via Livestreamer and VLC media player, sometimes it happens while playing CS:GO. The GPU usage goes up to 95% and stays there for about 7 seconds. CPU usage goes up to roughly 65% and stays there for 5 seconds. The problem is that the RAM never gets cleared. It's normally between 2 and 2.5 GB. Then it spikes up to 5.5 GB in a matter of 3 seconds and slowly decreases to 4.5 GB after a few minutes. After 10 to 30 minutes it spikes up by 3 GB again to 7.5 GB and stays there for a few minutes before slowly decreasing to about 6.5 GB. Then it increases to more than 7.5 GB and stays there. And as I'm writing this I opened Process Hacker and saw a process with a weird random name (starting with xyo........exe) that shut down as I opened the window and in the span of 10 seconds the RAM usage went down from 7.9 GB to 2.2 GB. And a minute later it's back up to 5.5 GB and then 6.5 GB.

All of this started happening yesterday morning. I don't recall having installed anything since then. Taking a look into task manager doesn't reveal any process that is taking up more RAM than it should. I did a virus scan yesterday and it didn't reveal anything either. I'm now trying to catch the weirdly named process that appeared twice and magically cleared my RAM once using Process Monitor.

My system:
i5 4590
XFX R9 270x
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Asus H81M-PLUS Mobo
Windows 10
1 TB HDD
530W Power Supply

Maybe someone knows something that I could do. Thanks in advance.

Edit: The randomly named app was a LiteCoin miner placed in the Temp folder. There were multiple of them.

Solution
in process hacker, can you right click the file names and run a virus scan of that file? or suspend it? can you sort the process view into show process tree as that should show you whats controlling the process thats eating all your ram?

Process hacker seems to copy heavily from process explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) but i don't know how much it copies it.

try running Malwarebytes as well.

edit: I just noticed your edit... is it fixed?

Colif

Win 11 Master
in process hacker, can you right click the file names and run a virus scan of that file? or suspend it? can you sort the process view into show process tree as that should show you whats controlling the process thats eating all your ram?

Process hacker seems to copy heavily from process explorer (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) but i don't know how much it copies it.

try running Malwarebytes as well.

edit: I just noticed your edit... is it fixed?

Solution