Windows 10 Updated itself overnight, Had several issues afterwards

cadc

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Ok, so I always leave my computer running 24/7. Last night, I stayed at a friend's house, this morning when i came home, i come to find my computer rebooted and on the lock screen (except the lock screen looked big, as if i had no graphic drivers installed)

I went "oh great.... what has Windows forced upon me this time.."

so I got passed the lock screen to be greeted with the message "we've updated your computer" (yea, great), it very much looked like the greeting screen when you first install windows 10.

so, I finally get to windows once it finishes installing updates, and the first thing i come to find as soon as i plug in my smart phone, it's installing the drivers to detect the device (oh great, you're telling me i have to reinstall all my devices?!)

in fact, I had to reset my audio settings, reinstall audacity because it wasn't working properly and a few other minor issues.

but the worst issue i have now, is that System Restore is completely disabled, It's grayed out, and i can't re-enable it anymore...

This for me is the biggest thing i want to rectify. I can deal with the small stuff (most of which i've already corrected) but I want to be able to re-enable system restore, anyone knows that this is a very nice life line should you run into trouble.... without it, you may be doomed to start from scratch...

If anyone can help, please let me know!

Solution

In that pic, you have the D drive selected.
Select the C drive and see what happens regarding enable/disabled.

USAFRet

Titan
That was almost certainly a delayed Update to the Anniversary release, 1607.
And no, System Restore is not disabled.

It may have and probably did wipe out your old restore points. But what happens when you try to re-enable it?
Can you show us a screenshot of where it is greyed out?

USAFRet

Titan

In that pic, you have the D drive selected.
Select the C drive and see what happens regarding enable/disabled.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS