Parts for overclocking amd fx 8350 over 4.5 ghz

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
As the title says, i reached stable 4.5 ghz oc a few months back, but because of the power supply i reverted it back. It was enough to know that i can do it. But the situation has changed and i got some excess money in my pocket so i want to buy a few parts to oc over 4.5 ghz. So the idea is to change my psu first and then look at the water cooling options for cpu cooling. I would also need some way of cooling the mbu. So can you guys help with suggestions?

0. would my components even managed or survive ocing over 4.5 ghz?

1. what psu do you suggest, im looking long range, so 1000 w+, money is not the issue now?

2. water cooling, which one, yes no, should i stick with 4.5 ghz with hyper 212 evo and get maybe 2x r9 390s and oc them?

3. if i take water cooling, what to take for mbo cooling?

any advice or suggestion is welcomed, thanks in advance guys^^

p.s. forgot the parts:

cpu - fx 8350 (125 w)
gpu - sapphire r9 390 nitro
mbo - gigabyte 990 fxa ud3
cooler - hyper 212 evo
psu - corsair cx 750
ram - forgot got 16 ghz of something

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1. Any 850W+ PSU with the name Seasonic on it.
2. My FX-8350/Asrock Extreme6 is OC'ed to 4.7 GHz with just a simple 212 EVO w/push-pull fans. So, any good quality 240mm AIO should be more than you need. I had a 120mm AIO on it for awhile, but it couldn't do the job even as well as my 212 EVO.
3. M/B cooling? Roomy case with good airflow has been all I've needed up til now. But with your dual R9-390 furnaces in there, more fans might be in order. What case do you have?

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Found the ram - 2x corsair 8 gb ddr3 1600 mhz

Case is Zalman Z9 plus, have 4 fans on it right now, one exhaust and 3 intake (2 in front and one on the bottom for the gpu, on the side and on top i have room for 4 more fans tho i dont wanna make vacuum of some sort, too much vents doing same things in a crowded space tends to mess with the airflow.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's enough fans for now. I'm like you, too many fans can create an airflow problem, not to mention unnecessary noise.
But with 2 front intake, you may be able to eliminate of them (bottom*) and move to top for exhaust. I've found that top exhaust makes the biggest single fan location difference in mid tower cases like that. But... if you move to a 240mm AIO, you'll need that space for the radiator.

*the bottom front fan probably isn't providing much air flow due to the drive cage being in the way.

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
I`ve made a hole in the bottom, so my case is kinda like standing on "chair legs" sort of, so my psu fan gets enough air and i can dust it off or vacuum it easier :)

I cant put exhaust on top as you said, cause well of the space for the radiator. hmm, i might put the radiator on the side panel, its all full of holes, or well ill adjust, got all sorts of tools so if side panel can be an option i can "rework" it easily xD. then i can move my back exhaust to the top. what do you think?

and you think 4 fans would cool the motherboard voltage regulators or something like that (forgot whats there on motherboard to cool, i know theres something just not what exactly :) ), without a problem? with both gpus running full throttle? what if hmmm i put some beasts of a vents for intake and exhaust. is there some vent with like 2k rpms? im so afraid of temp that i would rather install air conditioner in there and thats it xD

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The bottom line is, you won't know until you get there. The VRMs have a good heat sink on them (I had that UD3 board twice. Version 1 and version 3, I believe) If there is enough air flow thru the case, they will cool themselves. The dual cards are the only problem. They block air flow somewhat and create lots of heat when maxed out. Your air flow will naturally take that heat upward across the VRMs. The best thing to do is get the system running with both cards and the CPU OC, then see what temps are. We might be trying to cool the wrong component. Btw, I'd not remove the rear exhaust fan.

Here's another consideration... If you put the 240mm radiator on top, there are two schools of thought on its airflow.
(1) Its fans pulling in fresh air to cool the radiator, and its warmed air exhausted out the back of the case with the case fan.
(2) The other is use the rear fan as intake for fresh air and mix that with warmer case air to cool the radiator and exhaust it out the top of the case. See what the AIO manufacturer recommends. I kinda prefer the first scenario.

You may even want to scratch the AIO solution and stay with a high quality air cooler. Makes for easier air flow setup.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
This is an excellent deal on a 850w Seasonic and this is a very good air cooler at a great price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $116.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-24 15:19 EDT-0400

3 intake and 1 exhaust???? You need more exhaust fans ESPECIALLY if you're going to be running 390s xfire. You want to get that hot air out ASAP.

I would go front, bottom, and side intake, and top and rear exhaust. When it comes to overclocking a FX and running crossfire, you can't have enough fans.

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Those cards are pain in the a.. when you consider them in air flow scenario. They are just too big and just one oced makes alot of heat.

I tried with 2 exhaust, 1 back, 1 top back above the first, but i didnt get your results. I was pulling 5 C more heat on core and socket, prolly made a vacuum somewhere near cpu. In idle my cores were 25 to 27, socket 35.

With this setup i get 30 on socket, 19 to 20 on core idle. prime blend gets them to 50ish socket, core to 41 42 or 43 ( cant remember). Small ffts to pfff 55 socket 46 core i think, on 4.2 ghz oc at stock voltage (1.2850v, tho the vdrop is 0.013v when under prime - runs on 1.272v under full load, 24h prime. crappy corsair).

I have room for more but dont know how the rest of the components would react if i oc it to lets say 4.4 ghz on that psu. (im not a techy :I )

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
for CTurbo: the 3rd intake doesnt do much, its for the gpu to get fresh air since gpu is pretty close to ground, in lets say "sealed" area. top of the case is perforated so the air has an exit, but eh ill think about 5th exhaust. thank you for the links

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
What about Seasonic Platinum 1000, ss-1000xp, 1000 w or Thermaltake toughpower dps g 1050w?

call me an idiot but im fixed on 1000w psu

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
To paraphrase what I mentioned above... any 1000W with the name Seasonic on it is great. Just be sure its length is OK for where it sits in your case. When you get into that wattage, they can get a bit long.