Black Screen Crash While Under Full CPU/GPU Load + Gaming

James The Man

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Hello everyone I was just wanting everyone`s feedback for an issue I have been having. When gaming I randomly get a black screen crash where I can still hear sounds and all of my case, CPU, and GPU fans are all still spinning. I can also recreate this crash when I put a synthetic load of both my CPU and GPU at the same time using MSI Kombuster, and it`s built in CPU burner. I monitor all my temperatures and my CPU never exceeds 80 degrees celsius and my GPU never exceeds 70 degrees celsius. I will leave my specs and attempted fixes below.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz (1.150 Volts)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v1
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC 4Gb Edition (1400Mhz Core/3600Mhz Memory)
PSU: Corsair RM 850 80+ Gold Rated

Attempted Fixes
-Resetting defaults in bios
-Increasing and decreasing the power limit on my 970.
-Trying a different PCI-E cable.
-Trying a different connection on my psu for the PCI-E cable.
-Making sure all psu cables are secured to both the motherboard and the unit itself.

From research I have done it mostly points to a psu failure. But in most cases it is a very crappy psu to be the problem. As mine is a very reputable and trustworthy model I am hesitant to buy a new one to test as I do not have another one to test.

Any suggestions are welcome thanks everyone.

LaserDashz

Reputable
Oct 14, 2016
I think this may be your GPU failing and it is very unlikely that such a good PSU is failing. Maybe try replace your graphics card with something else or try using your on board graphics and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't do the same thing it probably your GPU failing.