Trades, Apprenticeship, and University

IREFUSE

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I'm currently in college getting my Gen Ed, but I was wondering how beneficial it is to go into a trade? I was thinking about going into electrical engineering but my goal job is robotics, however I don't think there any demand for it. After doing some research a lot of people agree that a trade school or apprenticeship is better than a university for a trade because of the cost, what do you guys think? Also if anyone is in electrical engineering, do you have any regrets about it, or do you think it's a good job, any advice you would give? Want to talk about any other trades, please do.
Not sure if it matters but I'm in Arkansan.

In general, a trade is going to be more career focused in giving you a specific set of skills for a job, while a 4 year university is going to be more of a general rounded mindset to put you into a field; while also taking as much money as possible for general ed courses and electives.
In many things you wind up with more job specific knowledge from 2 years of trade school than 4 years getting a bachelors degree.

Now in your instance, if you want to go into robotics then electrical engineering is the way to go, although for engineering you really need a masters to get a quality job.

So at this pint you might want to think more on what you want to do for your future.

IREFUSE

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

So what would a bachelors in engineering get me?

Dr MY Jamro

Prominent
May 14, 2017
UK Government has initiated a best triple-win option (i.e. win+win+win for Industry Employer + Individual Employee + University or Colleges). Its called Degree Apprenticeship Programme (DAP). Allows you as an individual to do Full-time job and part-time degree course. Government and Employer provide the funds and Employee has to work effectively (not hardworking but regular and consistent). Employee will earn the proper University qualification (Bachelor's/Master's or even PhD or EngD). Individual will be paid around Minimum wages (or more) by the Employer and will attend University at least ONE day a week (but will ensure coursework submission on time on other days or week/weekends. including Exams, Test, Labs, Workshops, Tutorials. Lectures etc). Anyone wanting to save Tuition fees (£9000 to £12000 per year) must do this. Get job and Qualification....if thinking of Engineering then all the DAPs are recognized by UK professional bodies (i.e. ECUK, IET, IMECH, Royal Academy of Engineering, and other Societies etc). This recognition is a bonus.... after getting a recognized qualification you earn CEng/IEng status, which means that you can join or begin your own business of consultancy. For more details visit any university's website or visit my university http://www.herts.ac.uk/apply/degree-apprenticeships