1440p resolution: DVI-D Dual Link source to HDMI monitor

GBAllison

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Most of the DVI/HDMI queries are several years old. But now the 2560×1440 monitors are becoming quite popular and the adapters market seems not to be responding.

I (like many people) have a computer with a DVI-D Dual Link port. Completely capable of outputting at 2560×1440. I'm looking to buy a 1440 monitor--many of which, like the very popular Dell UltraSharp U2717D, only have Displayports and HDMI. HDMI is completely capable of handling 2560×1440, heck it's done that since HDMI 1.3. And absolutely, you need a High Speed HDMI cable. Standard Speed tops out at 1080i. So I search through Amazon like crazy:

I'm looking for a DVI-D Dual link to High Speed HDMI adapter or cable. One that'll actually support 2560×1440.

I get a ton of hits, but when I read the comments from buyers ... oh no! Almost every DVI-to-HDMI adapter tops out at 1920×1080. Buyers are writing the reviews--they bought it and it's only doing Single Link. It has all the pins, but it's only single link. I've only found one (Walmart and Amazon) that seems to promise the solution, but no one has reviewed it, and the vendor doesn't specify the supported resolution. (Link Depot Gold Plated DVI-D Dual Link to High Speed HDMI Cable DVI-3-HDMI). Personally, I'm doubting my researching skills. I can't believe--with all these 1440 monitors being sold--that no one has at least come up with a definitive answer for DVI-D Dual Link to High Speed HDMI. (At this point I don't care what the answer *is*. I'm just dumbfounded that I can't find the answer.) Help? Please? And thanks!

Solution
I had roughly the same problem you have. Mine was a laptop with HDMI 1.4 and a Dell UltraSharp U2713H QHD (2560x1440) monitor which have HDMI, DVI-D and DisplayPort.

This article helped me a lot:
http://chang-gu.blogspot.com/2014/01/connect-2560x1440-qhd-monitor-over-hdmi.html

The problem is solved in two steps.
First, Physical/Electric connection. This is solved with a DVI-D to HDMI (or in my case an HDMI to DVI-D cable).

Second is the software part. HDMI defaults to 1920x1080 (at 30Hz). The article tells you how to create your own custom resolution even with HDMI connection.

After that, I was able to connect my laptop's HDMI port directly into the monitor at 2650x1440 (at up to 60Hz, though it heats up my GPU so I throttled it...

ebaligod

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I had roughly the same problem you have. Mine was a laptop with HDMI 1.4 and a Dell UltraSharp U2713H QHD (2560x1440) monitor which have HDMI, DVI-D and DisplayPort.

This article helped me a lot:
http://chang-gu.blogspot.com/2014/01/connect-2560x1440-qhd-monitor-over-hdmi.html

The problem is solved in two steps.
First, Physical/Electric connection. This is solved with a DVI-D to HDMI (or in my case an HDMI to DVI-D cable).

Second is the software part. HDMI defaults to 1920x1080 (at 30Hz). The article tells you how to create your own custom resolution even with HDMI connection.

After that, I was able to connect my laptop's HDMI port directly into the monitor at 2650x1440 (at up to 60Hz, though it heats up my GPU so I throttled it down to 50Hz) using a simple but high-grade HDMI cable.

I know there is not much review to help you on this (It took me months of research before I decided to jump the gun on this), so I hope this helps.

Solution