Installing Windows 10 from bootable USB to Asus x99 A2(II) BIOS

CATaylor

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Greetings Tom's,

After being a mac user for years, I've just put together my first pc build. Everything went will with the assembly, but I'm stumped on installing Windows 10 from a USB to the Asus x99 A2(II) BIOS.

As I only have a mac, I used the mac terminal utility method to mount the disk image of the Windows 10 ISO to the drive.

When I boot the computer, it brings me to BIOS, and recognizes two boot drives:
1.) My Samsung SSD, which I am looking to install Windows onto
2.) My USB Drive, which Windows is on.

As amateur as this sounds, I'm stumped past this. I've tried selecting the USB drive to boot, then it goes to a black screen where the cursor flashes from top left to the middle then back to the BIOS menu. After a few hours of messing around with tons of different settings that I know nothing of, and finding hardly anything on the interwebs that helps... I'm here.

Can someone help me with this? I was rather stoked to assemble a big bad PC... and then rather deflated when I couldn't even get Windows to run.

Thanks
CT

Solution
Okay I've figured this out. Just in case someone else runs into this problem..

The issue was the way in which I formatted the drive, as I only had a Mac computer to do this. Instead of using the Terminal Disk Utility command, I downloaded "UNetbootin". After, I went into disk utility on Mac, erased the drive, journaled as FAT, with Windows Journaling. I then remounted the ISO to the disk using UNetbootin.

Plugged it into my PC, turned it on, and it loaded flawlessly.

Cheers, and thanks Colif.

CT

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you hit the enter key while cursor is flashing? it doesn't automatically choose the USB, you need to hit a key to continue or the boot order will go to next device

You may need to go into the advanced setup screen in bios, on the Boot tab, set USB to full initialisation, as otherwise Fast boot will only look at Mouse/KB USB at boot: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/787870/Asus-X99-A.html?page=125 - this is what I would need to do to boot off USB and my board is similar to yours in age.

CATaylor

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Thank you for your response. I've just given this a try, and to no avail. Do you think that the problem lies with the ISO being on a USB External Drive, as opposed to a USB Flashdrive?

CATaylor

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Okay I've figured this out. Just in case someone else runs into this problem..

The issue was the way in which I formatted the drive, as I only had a Mac computer to do this. Instead of using the Terminal Disk Utility command, I downloaded "UNetbootin". After, I went into disk utility on Mac, erased the drive, journaled as FAT, with Windows Journaling. I then remounted the ISO to the disk using UNetbootin.

Plugged it into my PC, turned it on, and it loaded flawlessly.

Cheers, and thanks Colif.

CT

Solution