Boot splash shows after ten minutes or doesn't show up at all, then it starts up to windows fine.

felys_

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Hello! Sorry if I'm in the wrong section, but I'm kinda new to the forum, although I browsed it a lot for help in the past.

I builded this pc three months ago by myself, and it didn't have any problem until now.

Here's the components' list:
CPU : Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz
RAM : HyperX Fury 2x4 GB DDR4 2133MHz
Scheda Madre : ASRock B150M Pro4
GPU : nVidia GTX 950 2047 MB
Hard Disk : 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA)
PSU : Thermaltake Smart SE 530w
Case : Zalman R1

I had this problem for two weeks, all started from a system recovery a while ago.
My windows 10 after a restart would only show a white blank screen with a mouse cursor, and nothing else. What I did was to go into safe mode and launched a system recovery. Since then, the boot splash took 2/3, even 5 minutes to show up.

Some days ago a blackout in my zone happened, and the pc didn't want to start at all.
I left it unplugged from the power cable for a whole night, and the next morning, after ten minutes of completely black screen, the boot showed up and after some seconds windows also loaded.

So, the time from the boot splash and the time from the windows login is very short, that's why I don't really think it's a software issue (however, I formatted my disk just to be sure).

So yeah, now it takes ten or more minutes to show the boot splash, or sometimes it just doesn't show anything at all (maybe because I have to wait more? But usually after 40mins/1h I just turn it off from the power button).

One thing I noticed is, before the actual boot splash, the hard disk LED doesn't show any activity.

What I tried, hardware-side:

• ■ Ram tested, seems to work all fine
    ■ Plugged and unplugged hard disk
    ■ tried both graphic card video output and mobo video output, it's the same
    ■ resetted cmos
    ■ started pc with only the video cable connected
    ■ tested monitor

I also tried to stress up some components like ram, cpu or disk from various softwares, but no problems showed up. Also, I let the PC powered on for something like two days, and it didn't had any freezes or random shutdowns, so it doesn't look like it actually have any issues when it's fully operating.

One thing is for sure: that is not normal, and I'd be glad if someone could help me!

Edit: I don't have any possibility to test if the PSU's bad, if not by buying another one and testing it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you could look at voltages being supplied to bios

i think stage before windows is when PC starts hardware, so it sounds like it sits waiting for something to respond, So its only start up, all the other times it is perfectly fine? No other signs of strangeness?

So you get same behaviour whether gpu or hdd is plugged in or not?

does same thing happen on a restart?

have you installed the asrock appstrore and checked you have latest bios/chipset drives as they can slow boot down if wrong.

felys_

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

Hello, thanks for your answer!

Sorry for the noobish question, how should I check voltages being supplied to bios?

And yes, it is only at the startup, when I'm in Windows I don't notice any problems of slowing down/freezing, the performances look the same.

When I unplugged the HDD I think it went a little faster, but still very slow, still on ten minutes for booting up (or maybe I'm just getting confused and it was slow as before, I'll try again when I come back from work this evening).

I haven't got the possibility to try the restart out a lot of times but it seems kinda worse on it, let's say 20/25 minutes instead of 10/15.

I have installed the asrock app shop, and that's what it shows : https://puu.sh/rW6c2/b00949c498.png

So I guess no updates for the bios.

Edit: If I put Windows 10 in Sleep mode (or I guess that's how it's called in english, the third option in the turn off icon) it doesn't have any problem in waking up, takes less than ten seconds.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think he says you need to tap del at start to get into bios, then go to the h/w monitor page and it should show the 12v, 5v & 3.3 volt scores here. See video for slightly more details

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zaAf6KdAc"][/video]

damn YouTube, i only noticed not same board, but judging by photos they all have same tabs

seems you can update bios from within bios over the internet.. that is tricky.

how did you test the ram? with http://www.memtest86.com/ ?

it shouldn't take a PC 20 minutes just to start windows.

felys_

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

Sorry for the late answer.

Yeah, my bios is different but it's no deal since it's easy to navigate in.
Volt scores weren't 100% stable, but I took a pic for remembering them and those are:

• ■ +12.00V : +12.096 V
    ■ +5.00V : +5.136 V
    ■ +3.30V : +3.408 V

For testing, I used PassMark Performance Test 9.0, do you think I should also try memtest?

Also, little note, I have 2 USB case ports connected to the mobo, and while one is usually empty, one has a little wifi adapter. if I plug in something in the other USB port, the wifi adapter loses power (it has a light on it, and this one starts to blink at a lower velocity) and disconnects me from internet (I already tried to boot up PC without the case USBs connected, but same thing).

I also had a 3.0 USB port from case to mobo, but I broke a mobo's pin while trying to re-connect it, whoops..

And yes, you can update the BIOS from the internet I guess, but I'd need to move the PC near the router so I could connect the ethernet cable.

Last thing I noticed, if I reboot now it looks like it takes less time than when it starts. Before it was the opposite, if I gave it the reboot command 70% of times it wouldn't even start up.

Probably some informations are completely useless, but I may don't know things so I just write 'em down.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Those voltages look good enough to boot off.

if you didn't use memtest already on ram, I would test it.

Alas you cannot get bios to display without ram so thats one test we cannot try - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289173-30-computer-start-bios - it just creates errors at start up. I guess you don't have a motherboard speaker as many PC don't now, makes it hard to hear any beep codes. I had hoped motherboard had an led on it that showed error codes as somehting is not right here.

felys_

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
I launched memtest giving usb priority for boot, did 2 passes and no errors (it didn't load any UEFI interface tho, I think I might have did something wrong?).

However, when I pressed Esc for stopping, the software actually stopped but it didn't exit the screen and the keyboard couldn't give any input, looked like it was freezed.

Soo, in various reboots it didn't start so I just left it shut for some hours, and this evening it took something near one hour for it to turn on.. Exact same thing tho, black screen -> a lot of time -> BIOS splash -> short time -> windows.

I don't really know what I might test anymore.. I can wait two weeks for my paycheck to bring it to a repair center, but those usually charges you with stupid amounts of money and I'd prefer to avoid it.