Swapping monitor cables - How does it know ?

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
apologies in advance for poor heading, cant think of a proper title.

I have a 3 monitor setup, from left to right lets number them 1,2 and 3.
yesterday monitor 1 developed a flicker, every 2-5 seconds the monitor would go blank, stay blank for 2-5 seconds then the picture would return.
That monitor is only 3 months old, so I doubted it was at fault, so my first thought was the cabling.
So, as any logical person would try I thought I would swap the cables around with another monitor and see if the flicker follows the cable or stays with the monitor, make sense right ?
WRONG.
In any other part of the world, in any other universe that makes sense, but in my room, at that time - we had a Douglas Adams moment.
swapping the cables between monitor 1 and 3 did not reverse the screens over like it shoulda done in my head. The display stayed 1,2 and 3. like it did before. so how does that help me trace the fault ?
The flicker disappeared after changing the cabling so it so not an issue now, guess it must have been a dodgy connection after all
my questions are:
1) with three monitors all the same make and model, how did windows/nvidea or the gpu know that I had swapped the cables over for it to have adjusted the output from the gpu to compensate and keep the display at the 1,2 and 3 position?
2) windows/nvidea/the gpu can 'detect' the make and model of a connected monitor so info clearly flows back down the hdmi cable, do monitors also have an individually identifying serial number that seperates them further from each other ? ( this may be the answer to the first question )
3) I have very cheap, 5 meter long hdmi cable connecting that particular monitor, I'm no electrician so please forgive my poor description, but can a cheap long cable like this build up 'resistance' or be influenced by poor shielding from other electrical sources and cause this type of problem?

thanks for taking the time to read all of my waffle :)

Solution

Windows, not the GPU, identifies each monitor by its unique plug and play signature and can therefore keep your displays in proper order through the swapping of cables.

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

well, I left them all connected at the back of the monitors. I just swapped them over at the gpu I/o port

the idea was to rule out a problem with the gpu, I thought that if the flicker stayed with the same monitor then it would be a cable or monitor problem.

but swapping positions at the the gpu didn't swap the displays, and so if the flicker had stayed at the same monitor I would be none the wiser... errr, the logic is starting to hurt my head a bit

bamanec

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
so the cable swapping of the port, would have shown if the GPU was the problem. Since it would have done the same with the other monitor. But my god, this is very confusing haha. But is the problem now solved, by simply having switched slots?

Pike68

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
erm, no its started up again.
although now I think its a software issue.
I remember yesterday, I was watching something on youtube and at around the 30min mark all the screens went off and just by habit I wiggled the mouse to get them all back on. it was at this point monitor 1 started flicking. so I checked screensaver was off and it was set to off so I just thought it was a coincidence.
it all seemed stable until it just happened again, watching something else but at the 30min mark all went blank and now monitor 1 is flicking again.
so just checked the power settings and under the 'balancedf' setting is does have a option to shut the screens off at 30 mins, I ve reset this to 'never' and now monitor 1 is flicking still... am gonna shut down and restart and hope this cures the problem

Windows, not the GPU, identifies each monitor by its unique plug and play signature and can therefore keep your displays in proper order through the swapping of cables.

Solution