Dusting off (literally) Q9550 to overclock it?

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi all,

So I'm thinking about recycling old PC parts I have lying around from a 2009 build :

• Q9550
    ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
    OCZ 8gb DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD4870 (1gb DDR5)
    PSU : OCZ Stealthxstream 600w
    LG CD/DVD drive
    An old 2.5" laptop HDD (Hitachi, don't remember the details, 750gb)

What I would buy to complete the build

• The smallest and simplest ATX case possible (It's currently in a 2009 Antec 900... too big, heavy and noisy).
    The smallest SSD possible to install Windows and most frequently used applications (again, Chrome and Spotify)
    The PSU has lasted me 6 years until I took it out but it's not the best so maybe I could change it for something else, probably Seasonic M12-II 620W
    CPU cooler

I'm totally new to overclocking but I know the Q9550 is a good overclocker. The PC will be used in my gym (Spotify, Youtube, Netflix, internet browsing and a combination of all these... no gaming).

My questions

1) Will my mobo support that overclock?
2) Is this a good idea?
3) Can you recommend me a cheap CPU cooler? I really hate the bulky ones, low-profile would be great, especially that the case will be mid-tower. I don't wanna spend too much here as the PC will be tucked away in the gym, so nothing too fancy.
4) Any tips about overclocking this specific CPU?

My concern : the heatsink is completely clogged in dust but still running. Of course I wanna dismantle everything and blow off the dust, but I'm wondering if the CPU has sustained any damage because it ran with so much dust (I used to neglect that PC).

Thanks.

Yes, you motherboard support overclocking, in fact it has a program to OC in Windows, though i don;t know how good it works, called "TurboV"

I have a Q9550 OC'd to 3.5ghz and it runs nice and smooth, there is a noticeable difference in performance when doing basic tasks in Windows 10.

I am using Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103099
It's a big cooler, but at 3.5ghz, it keeps the temps as if it were running stock, even when I play games on it. Plus, it will fit many ATX mid-tower cases.

As for storage, I'd just go with a standard 7200rpm HDD. That's what I have and it starts up rather and loads things rather quick. If you wont be putting many programs on the machine and can find a cheap SSD, then no reason not to get one. But if you need a fair amount of space, the HDD will be fine.

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks. I'm a total noob to overclocking but I've been reading the softwares aren't recommended... it's always better to go through BIOS, and that's what I'm willing to do. I realize I have a lot of reading to do.
Pcpartpicker says there's a conflict between the Hyper212 + and the case I saved (Corsair 100R, though not my final choice). Could it be because of height clearance? And is pcpartpicker reliable for that?

It's the height. That case allows up to 150mm CPU coolers, the Evo is 159mm...

PCpartpicker is pretty good for compatibility, but the prices can be misleading. If the shipping isn't listed for an item, there is likely a shipping cost which makes what looked like the cheapest option, into possibly the most expensive or more expensive than the next one with free shipping.

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Oh I meant the cooler height clearance of the case isn't listed on Newegg :)
Yeah I'll have some homework to do about case vs cooler.
Are there any specifics about overclocking that CPU, or just any tutorial will do?

I referenced this guide:
https://www.scan.co.uk/images/shops/intel/Intel_Q9550_Core_2_Quad_basic_overclocking_guide.pdf
and although it has different parts, a lot of what is said is universal. I wouldn't doubt there are guides for the board and CPU combo you have.