I can boot from either windows 10 or windows 7. my keyboard and mouse doesnt work when booting from windows 7.

Mr Turtle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
So a day ago, i had two hard drives. One hard drive had windows 7 on it and the other hard drive was for extra storage. everything worked fine. I just installed a new ssd and put windows 10 on it. so when i boot my computer up, it gives me the option of booting to windows 7 or windows 10. when i boot to windows 10, everything works fine. when i boot to windows 7, my keyboard and mouse just stop working completely. the leds on the mouse and keyboard also go out. i cant sign in because of this. so windows 7 no longer works for me because i cant even sign in. any help is appreciated!

Mr Turtle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Yes i go through the proper sequence. When the computer boots up, there is a blue screen where i can pick to boot to windows 10 or windows 7. When i boot to windows 7, the computer briefly restarts and continues to the windows 7 login screen. As soon as it gets to the login screen, the leds to my mouse and keyboard shut off and they dont work. Before when i only had windows 7 this didnt happen. When i boot to windows 10, my mouse and keyboard work just fine.

And nothing is wireless. The mouse and keyboard both connect with a usb.

juan_taco

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017

Hey man did you ever find an solution to this? I have two hard drives both have win 7. One is my ssd in which I boot and use normally. The other is my old windows 7 that I kept because of my music studio software installed. Normally, when the computer starts up I press f9 and choose which HD to boot first. I haven't booted to my Music Studio HD in awhile, and decided to boot it up, update some files etc. Everything boots normal until the login screen comes and magically the keyboard isn't working. I am beyond frustrated. I have no idea how to fix it. I'm clueless. This is the first post I've found that address this exact issue, and low and behold there is no answer.

Please let me know what you find out because I do not want to scratch this hd because of something as trivial as keyboard and mouse issues.

Mr Turtle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

No i unfortunately didnt find any solution. I cant find anything else online either and there is no reason my keyboard and mouse should stop working. I highly doubt that it has to do with the keyboard and mouse, i think it has more to do with the fact that one windows is on an ssd, and the one that doesnt work is on the hd. i really dont know for sure though. i still have all of the microsoft office programs on my old windows 7, and i cant use them since i cant actually boot up the windows 7. to be quite honest, i just gave up after finding no answers on this. I use my windows 10 for everything anyways now, but it would be nice to boot up the windows 7 again.

if you happen to find any fixes to this, please please let me know. it would be awesome!

juan_taco

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
[/quotemsg]

No i unfortunately didnt find any solution. I cant find anything else online either and there is no reason my keyboard and mouse should stop working. I highly doubt that it has to do with the keyboard and mouse, i think it has more to do with the fact that one windows is on an ssd, and the one that doesnt work is on the hd. i really dont know for sure though. i still have all of the microsoft office programs on my old windows 7, and i cant use them since i cant actually boot up the windows 7. to be quite honest, i just gave up after finding no answers on this. I use my windows 10 for everything anyways now, but it would be nice to boot up the windows 7 again.

if you happen to find any fixes to this, please please let me know. it would be awesome![/quotemsg]

So I fixed my issue, although the difference between ours is the connection. Mine was wireless. What I found, and it is the same for wired, or wireless, is issues with the driver. With it being a usb port, its not just the driver for the keyboard or mouse, but could be the drivers for usb hub, (there are like 4). Can you access the Win 7 hd when Win 10 is running? if so, there are a few options:

I'm sure you have but have you tried a completely different mouse and keyboard? Different ports?

Win 7 HD -

in the folder C:\Windows\System32 the .sys files that contain the drivers for the mouse and keyboard could be corrupt. While it is a difficult process you can locate the .sys from another HD (I don't know if win 10 .sys files are the same, but you can try) copy them and replace the .sys files on your Win 7 HD. the trouble you run into here, is when you go to replace the files, the folder is read-only, the owner isn't you, and windows doesn't want you to take ownership of system folders. lol. You can try using command prompt when you boot to system repair in Win 10. just hit shift f10 and it brings it up.

fyi this is a complicated process and I was getting frustrated and stopped.

What I would do, save all the folders you want from win 7, erase the HD and reinstall windows 7. I have a real copy of Win 7 ISO you will just need your serial number from your win 7, Ill send you the link if you want

I would do some more searching, I found a lot of useful information out there. Hope this helps