Dec 26, 2012
Some background information:

My system is a :

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX8350
16GB
Wireless Anker Mouse
D-Link USB Wi-fi

I was using Windows 7 until the last July, just in time to get my free upgrade to Windows 10. After upgrading, everything was fine and perhaps I had one or two BSOD during 4 months. I use 3ds Max, Photoshop, gaming and general use and with Windows 10 it was perfect.

Came the day that the Windows 10 did the famous Anniversary update and all hell broke loose. Literally. I went from a very stable usage of my PC to 12 different BSOD in one day. I tried to do my best to solve the issues, that included:

• * Reinstalling drivers
    * Reinstalling software
    * Reinstalling games

As I use 3ds Max to model and rendering there was one day that the BSOD didn't stop and complete different messages. I reinstalled 3ds Max and it seems the issue was solved. However, while playing Tomb Raider the PC kept crashing. Ok, maybe is an issue with this game, let me try Watch Dogs and see if it happens. Again, another crash, but the BSOD wasn't the same. And that kept happening until last week.

I got fed up with this situation and I decided to "Reset my Windows". For a short period of time (2days) it seems that Windows 10 was back to normal life until I got a BSOD (System Service Exception).

After this it was even worse. My PC restarted, but I didn't hear the normal "beep" from the MB. I could hear the fans working. The PC kept trying restating over and over and over. Sometimes I could hear the beep and see the Gigabyte BIOS screen (with the F9, F12 etc), but it just kept restarting. To a point that I used the plug to shutdown the PC, waited a couple of minutes and plug it back again.

It worked this time and since I was installing softwares the I had to restart the PC a couple of times without any issues. Yesterday, I booted the PC, log in and from nowhere it simply restarted with another BSOD - Kmode Exception Not Handled.

I saw on the internet that it could be related to this windows option of fast startup. Today, I got back home, I booted the PC and again the PC just restarted. Another BSOD - Bad Pool Caller. And again the same issue, the PC kept restarting without any beeps or BIOS screen. The cause for this BSOD was an issue with the NTFS.sys file.

Ok, let me format this PC. A fresh start. I used a USB stick to load the Windows 10 and the installation went without any issues until the moment that had to restart. Again the same issue. The PC kept restarting over and over. It eventually passed the BIOS screen and I am now using the PC and installing some of the drivers.

So, at the moment I am at that stage where I have a fresh start, but I have no idea what is causing the difficulty to start the PC. Any ideas or suggestions to see what is causing so much problems?

Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to give the full picture.

Solution
there been old postings that windows 10 is more harder on hardware and if there a weak part in system the system will crash more then it did in windows 7. i would in the bios and use hardware info set it to sensor and logging make sure your 12v rail is holding on the power supply. unclean power it the most common issue on unstable systems. look in the window error log for any error 41 power. if they there and your power supply still under warranty do a cross ship. also when your rig not needed make a memtest86 boot usb stick. boot from the stick and run it overnight. see if your ram is fine. it there any errors pull the ram test one ram stick at a time.
there been old postings that windows 10 is more harder on hardware and if there a weak part in system the system will crash more then it did in windows 7. i would in the bios and use hardware info set it to sensor and logging make sure your 12v rail is holding on the power supply. unclean power it the most common issue on unstable systems. look in the window error log for any error 41 power. if they there and your power supply still under warranty do a cross ship. also when your rig not needed make a memtest86 boot usb stick. boot from the stick and run it overnight. see if your ram is fine. it there any errors pull the ram test one ram stick at a time.

Solution

Cyrus3v

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks guys for the quick reply.

@smorizio - I am going to post here the voltage information, as I don't exactly know what the values mean. Meanwhile I will run a Memory Test to see if there is any issue.

@Rocky Bennett - I went to the Windows website and downloaded the latest build. So at the moment I have the Version 1607 and OS build 14393.0.

And I just noticed that I although I have 16GB installed RAM, only 7.96 is usable??? Maybe this is the issue?

Cyrus3v

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
So, checked the voltage on the BIOS ( I hope that is the right place) and what I got is

Vcore - 1.416V
Dram Voltage - 1.488V
CPU Vcore - 1.41250V
NB core - 1.18750V
Dran Termination - 0.750V
HT Link Voltage - 1.200V
NB/PCIe/PLC - 1.800
CPU PLL Voltage - 2.500 V
NB Voltage - 1.100V

Does this tells you anything? I will be running the Memtest86 in a second and post the results here. Meanwhile, I just noticed that the BIOS version I have is the F2 and on the website I can see that the latest one is the F10e. Is it safe to jump straight to this F10e ( which is a Beta from 2014)?

Many thanks for your help.

Cyrus3v

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Memtest86 - 6 passes and no errors. 14 hours of testing

[strike]Also, I don't know if this helps, but:

I started up the PC yesterday without any issues. Later, when I had to restart, I noticed the same behavior (PC tries to startup over and over).

Today, after finishing the Memtest86 the same thing happens. So it seems, that if I shutdown the PC and then start up again, there is no issue, is only if I have to restart the PC that I get the constant trying to restart.
[/strike]

EDIT: (I tested and the issue happens with the pc shutdown)

[strike]And I tried the MSconfig trick to get all the ram, but still it says I only have 7.8 usable. Could this be also a reason for the problem? This afternoon I am going to try 3ds Max and other software to see if there is any crash.[/strike] EDIT : Solved this one

Cyrus3v

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Turns out the my memory wasn't installed correctly. It worked fine on windows 7 and 10, but it seems that once the Anniversary update come, it started to be more picky. Yesterday, once I placed the memories on the correct location, all these problems stopped. The PC now restarts fine, so far I have been playing/working without any issues. So thanks for the help, which eventually made me realized my stupidity