How do I change the Start Menu's Downloads location?

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
On my Start Menu (http://i.imgur.com/XIbqkUf.png) I have my Downloads folder enabled - but I have t drives, and one I use for pure Windows/Microsoft stuff and on the secondary I put stuff like games, Blender, and Gimp. I also have my Downloads folder on the root of the secondary drive. How can I set the shortcut on the Start menu to redirect to the folder on the secondary drive? I've already tried deleting the folder in my user directory and replacing it with a shortcut but that didn't work. Is there a registry tweak that can do this?

I know it looks like Vista but it's just a theme.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Like USAFRet said, you can change the download destination through your browser settings. If you're using Chrome, for example, go to the options menu by clicking near the top right corner, just below the Close button. Click "Settings" near the bottom of the drop-down menu. Click "Show advanced settings" at the bottom. Look for the Downloads heading. Click the "Change" button and set it to your preferred download folder. Internet Explorer, Firefox and download accelerators have similar provisions.

you can permanently change all downloads section to be moved area in windows directly so that if you use various software you can use windows default setting open a explorer windows, in libraries you will find "downloads" right click, properties , location tab, select the folders/driver where you want it to always go... apply (if you have currently files there it will ask if you want to move them, yes and there your done.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
I don't think anyone understood the question. When I open the Start Menu and click on Downloads, it opens the folder in my user directory on my C drive, not the folder I created on the D drive. I want to change the Start Menu so when I click on the downloads link on the right side panel it opens the directory on my D drive instead of the folder in my user directory on my C drive. I already set Chrome to store everything on the D drive downloads folder.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Sorry, you're right. I didn't understand your question the first time. This is what you do-

Right-click Downloads on the Start menu and open Properties.
Click the Location tab
Change the location to whatever you wish by typing the path in the box
Click OK

I just tried it and it works. For the purpose of the test, I created a folder named "Downloads" in my E: drive and typed the path E:\Downloads in the Location box.

Let us know if it worked for you.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
200_s.gif

I didn't even know I could right click on that...it never occurred to me in 18 years of using Windows...

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I almost never use Windows' default download location. I usually create a folder for new downloads in My Documents, and one of the first things I do with a fresh installation of Windows is to change the location of My Documents to a non-OS partition.

I do this for others as well as for my own computer. This way, if Windows becomes too messed up to warrant a fresh install, there's no need to back up all those important files elsewhere.