After many tries, i still cannot get my computer to keep update 1607

colonelcorn

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
i preordered forza horzion 3 and i was super stoked to play it until i realized i needed the anniversary update 1607 to play it. the automatic update was and is still stalled, i tried downloading the update installer from microsoft and that got stuck at 99%. i then called microsoft support to see if they could fix it for me, and they did get the update downloaded and working, however the next time i turned my computer on it reverted to the previous build. i really dont know what to do and any help would be great. thanks.

Solution
you can run the update using the USB just by running setup.exe in file explorer

to avoid a repeat of 99%, try disconnecting your PC from the internet before running the update, and disable any AV programs you have as they can also stop it at 99%

try removing the overclock and run it then as its not a good idea to have an overclock running duiring an upgrade, and 1607 is really a fresh install as its a new version of win 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is PC custom made or Brand name? If brand name, what make/model? If custom, what parts inside?

If PC itself is fairly old there could be a reason its not installed update like it needs a driver update that hasn't come down the pipeline first. I tried to update my mums PC several times and in the end it just did it itself one day, the update is slowly coming out over 3 months or something.

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

We could try to use that to run the update or the faster more reliable way to get it on is a fresh install as then it cannot revert back as its got no choice

copy everything off hdd C is on as the fresh install will want you to delete all the partitions
Steam library folders can be reused so you can copy them to another drive and use them all later
Change boot order in BIOS so USB first, hdd second
boot from win 10 installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

colonelcorn

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
pc is custom built with a overclocked 6700k and all the other goodies so that shouldnt be an issue. im thinking a fresh install may be the way to go however i did one not long ago so that would be a pain and im going to try to avoid that. would the usb be used for a manual install of the update?

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can run the update using the USB just by running setup.exe in file explorer

to avoid a repeat of 99%, try disconnecting your PC from the internet before running the update, and disable any AV programs you have as they can also stop it at 99%

try removing the overclock and run it then as its not a good idea to have an overclock running duiring an upgrade, and 1607 is really a fresh install as its a new version of win 10.

Solution