I'd like some help deciding what monitor I should use.

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014
So, my GPU set up is a single 980ti. I'd like a 144hz monitor. I can't decide if I want gsync/freesync or not. I play games that aren't hard to run, like League, various steam games, etc. but I also play harder to run games like AAA RPGs a lot too; games I don't think I can run at 144fps currently, so I can't decide if I need gsync/freesync or not because I've never used one.

Also, IPS or TN? I sit directly in front of my monitor the vast majority of the time (sometimes I sit in bed and watch a stream until I fall asleep). I hear IPS is better than TN because of viewing angles and color, but is the color really that bad? I really enjoy picture quality so if it's a big dip in quality I'd like to know. My current monitor is an ASUS VS247, 24inch 1080p 60hz which is apparently an "LCD" monitor. So now there's LCD and LED? I'm so confused here. Could someone explain these things to me and maybe recommend something?

Solution
1. IPS vs. TN. Really unless you actually need the color accuracy it's the last thing I would worry about. I've seen cheap IPS panels look far worse then a good TN. If you need a monitor you can watch in bed you can always mount it to an arm.

2. Gsync vs. freesync You have a NVidia card, get gsync. Overall I would say gsync is better as freesync panels can very at the fps they are effective at. AAA rpgs will run smoother with little to no microstutter. If gsync is in your budget it's worth while.

3. LCD vs. LED. All monitors use LCD panels. Really the argument should be CFL lit LCD and LED lit LCD. CFL and LED refer to the light that shines behind the LCD panel so you can see the colors. It's pointless as all monitors and televisions at this point are LED backlit as it is cheaper, and more reliable.

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014

My card is a 980ti. My budget is <$500.

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014

I don't think my gpu can power a 1440p monitor at 144fps. I don't even think I can run many AAA games at 144fps at 1080p. In the future I may get a second gpu, but in the mean time will I be able to downscale games to 1080p on this monitor and will it look like a normal 1080p or will it look like shit?

Nvidia’s latest has plenty in common with the more expensive Titan X, so it’s no surprise that it destroyed our 1080p benchmarks. The GTX 980 Ti blasted through every test, with some results blazing past 100fps, proving it's overkill at this modest resolution.

The GTX 980 Ti also proved very capable when we cranked up our games to 2,560 x 1,440. Batman and BioShock are two of our simplest tests, and here the Nvidia card triumphed: in the former it averaged a mighty 149fps; in the latter it stomped through at 103fps.

It's even manages to keep up with Titan X: in Batman, the GTX 980 Ti was less than 20fps behind; and it was only three frames slower in BioShock.

Source - http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review-results-analysis-and-verdict-page-3

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014

I thought that you had to run games at 144fps in order to take advantage of 144hz? Not to mention the games they listed aren't hard to run at all compared to the games that I'm talking about; think Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of difficulty to run. I can only get 60-70fps on these games at maxed out settings and that's on 1080p.

I think it should be able to pull through over 100fps... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2730789/gtx-980ti-handle-1440p-144hz.html
But if you are not sure about it, you can always opt for the 1080p.

Solution

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014

You're making it sound like I don't need to be at 144fps. As I said I've never used a 144hz monitor before, so I don't have any experience with this but, do I not need to be at exactly 144fps to have the "buttery smooth" effect that it gets described as? Because dropping even 2 or 3 frames under 60 is noticeable and bugs me; is it not the same with 144hz/fps?

dildobaggins

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 18, 2014

I've decided to go with the Dell you suggested. I plan on getting a second 980ti sometime next year so if I can't fully take advantage of the resolution on some games now, I will at least be able to before too long. Thanks for helping me out.