Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 Failed To Install - EVERYTIME [SOLVED]

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
qbAoAhK.png

This is my old, work-PC.
This has been going like this for months. The list is longer than what you can see in the screenshot.

Every single Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 KBXXXXXX - FAILS TO INSTALL.
I am now trying to download KB3197954 which also failed a bunch of times.

The computer had a clean install recently, I think back when I installed the Anniversary Update. Since then, pretty much nothing had changed in terms of applications. I am doing regular maintenance with CCleaner. This really makes no sense.

I have researched online and found no solution.
I rather not do a clean install all over again, if I can help it. I don't even know if it will fix anything.
I really need help solving this issue. I can't run without updates forever...

EDIT: I tried to run Troublershooter for Windows Update as Administrator and Retry Windows Update, I got many failed updates now:
IOELNmu.png

Solution
Agreed, although I think Reset WU had a certain hand in the matter as well.
I wonder how/why the files and resources suddenly became free of corrupted files, when I used FSC /scannow after the successful update.

It's almost as if DSIM worked, but somehow traces of corruption remained within WU. Then I've reset WU and cleared it's old DL data. Finally when WU Cumulative was successfully installed after the reboots- no traces remained and it was all clean. Which is a great sign.

I am just happy to have finally solved this issue. :bounce:
Have a great day!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Just ran sfc /scannow, here is what came up in the CMD:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 16% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Afterwards I ran :
C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

More errors, more troubles.

Try this

Use the Tech Bench link below to download YOUR version of Windows 10 iso file.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.

Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

If you have any questions or problems, post back.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hey!
The link seems to be broken, it says: We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
I tried finding it from Google and get the same message, might be a Region-Restriction thing? Perhaps you have an alternative link as well?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

OK, thanks. I am preparing the ISO file with the Media Creation Tool right now, looks like it's going to take a while (still at 0%), and will follow to perform Rocky Bennett's guide. I just hope I understand the process, not sure I understand the "Mount and leave it there" part. Then the CMD step - how does the DISM command know how to target and find the ISO? I don't quite get it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
this might help with mounting: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3579-iso-img-file-mount-unmount-windows-10-a.html

make sure to copy the DISM command exactly as it will return an error if spacing wrong. Make sure to change H to drive letter matching location of the ISO

could say I seen that command before :)

this part is how DISM finds the ISO - /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess, hence why changing H in command is necessary :)

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

So when mounting it, it mounts on the DVD drive (supposedly?) And the H letter should be replace with the letter of your DVD drive?

Also - I have another issue - the ISO creation process (with Media Creation Tool) is still stuck at 0% forever now?:
Downloading Winodws 10
Progress ... 0%

Task manager CPU usage says 0%.
Seems like it would take hours or that it might be totally stuck.
It's utterly mind boggling that so many issues keep poping-up as I try to solve this. The fixes themselves raise more issues that needs to be fixed before the process can work. I still don't even know if this suggested fix -once I get it to work! - will fix anything and allow me to install updates again..

Colif

Win 11 Master
you don't normally need to make a DVD, you can right click the ISO file and mount it and I think it can go on C drive (I haven't done it myself)

I get this sneaking suspicion that the download might be effected by your windows update problem, as it would be using same servers. You might be best downloading the ISO on another PC, creating a DVD and then mount it

Just stop download, if its been at 0% for a while, its not going to change

Colif

Win 11 Master
Here could be the link Rocky originally intended to link to you: http://www.technicalnotes.org/direct-link-download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/

it might work better than the one I linked, though it still links back to Microsoft so maybe....

nvm, not same link but might work. seems the techbench links all 404 if searching for win 10

Seems the techbench page got renamed to the two links found on the page above for 32bit & 64bit windows 10 versions

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
OK quick update:
I have succeeded in getting the Media Creation Tool to properly download and prepare the ISO.
I found this thread, by great luck and carful search: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f1ck1/download_windows_10_progress_stuck_at_0
Seems it was the BITS service = a service I found as: Background Intelligent Transfer Service or BITS for short. I've stopped it, then started it again - and the progress' % of "Downloading Windows 10 " immediately started to grow, and MCT was back and running.

After that was finished succesfuuly (didn't take very long at all) - I Mounted it, in my ccase to drive E: (DVD).
Then I ran the command in Administrator CMD.
Now it is working 60% and looking good.
Here's hoping this would work, after that step I will run:
sfc /scannow
And after that I will re-run Windows Update.

*I am wondering if BITS was the source of the entire Windows Update issue from the start? I also wonder if I should restart my PC somewhere in this process or if it will mess things up.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Damn, not good, the command of DSIM has returned an error:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[===========================91.8%===================== ]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
----------------
It's never simple is it? How many more procedures must I undertake to fix this?!
This is getting very very frustrating.
(Maybe I have no choice but to Reset my PC through the Recovery, or do a Clean Install...)

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is same error you got last time you ran dism, it still can't find source even though you mounted it in E

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

hmm, only difference i see is WIM is uppercase in version I find on MS site

i wonder if this is a better choice: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

if you did this, I would backup files just in case it doesn't work

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I am now running the command with the uppercase WIM you wrote in your last comment. Don't think it will work, but I'm willing to try.
I checked the link you gave me and it is filled with stuff, which one are you talking about?

Perhaps I should just do Recovery > Reset this PC >Keep nothing - and start over?
I can also do a Clean Install, but I will need to prepare a USB Win 10 installation with MCT.

I was really trying to avoid it, but I have been spending way too much time on this bug. The only tihng that troubles me about doing a Reset/Clean Install, is that it might not even solve my issue, which will end up being a pointless time-sink hell.
What do you guys suggest?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if DISM doesn't work, a reset won't fix it. DISM cleans the image that a reset would use to reinstall win 10. Using the current image would only reproduce your problem.

What we currently doing is cleaning that image. Once its clean, you can re run SFC /scannow and it should fix the files it couldn't before.Then you can try the updates that you cannot get now.

If DISM doesn't work, best option is a fresh install using newest ISO as then its all new. The current problem appears to be corrupt files.
Backup anything you cannot afford to lose. You can reuse steam library folders by copying them somewhere and then copying them back onto hdd once complete, saving a download of all the games.

repair install appears to rely on updates and they aren't the most reliable on your PC so fresh install using ISO is probably best.

if you need to do that, follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when asked for licence key, click I don't have a key and win 10 should auto activate itself

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

WAIT!
There may still be hope!
I've mounted the 64bit Windows 10 ISO English taken from the link you gave me (ISO without MCT) a few posts above, and it managed to find the source, reach 100% and the I received: "The operation completed successfully." at the end of it!
Now I am running sfc /scannow , 20% to go, really hope I can do the Windows Update afterwards!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Oh well :( sfc /scannow FAILED:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.
------------------------------------------------------------

Should have expected another setback...
I don't know if you are still up and awake. But do you have any suggestion? How can we get sfc /scannow to work now?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

No good. Still the same error. I simply don't get it anymore. DISM should have cleared all the corrupted files. I'll try to install Windows Update KB3197954 regardless, but I doubt it will work.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I am trying this (again). Downloaded the 800+MB update and now installing it.
I've already downloaded this update from Windows' catalog this afternoon. But I will try it one more time now after DISM was made.
Btw, Thank you Colif, you have been sitting slongside, helping me here for hours. I truly appreciate the help and super quick replies.
I know I could just go for the clean install (it will take a lot of time, preparing USB with Media Creation Tool, make backups and waiting for them to copy, format and install, download stuff) - But the thing is, we don't even know if it will help here or not.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Not working, unfortunately. After a lengthy installation process, 100% completion, it says: "The following updates are not installed" and names the update I just downloaded and tried to install... :(