Upgrade from less than 1080p -- best plan for the future? 1080p vs 1440p? Gsync? Freesync? Gah

btx926

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Man, it's tough figuring out the best upgrade path on displays and graphics these days.

My current rig:
Sapphire Radeon 7970
i5 4690K
16 GB RAM
Monitor: SAMSUNG 2232BW+ (1680 x 1050 2ms)

Given that I'm not even at 1080p, I've been thinking hard about a monitor upgrade. I don't want to be replacing a monitor again for a while, so I'm trying to figure out what the best plan is for the long term -- in case it means upgrading my graphics card as well. I play mostly FPS, but do some stuff like Civ VI as well.

I'm a dev, so I have a 1440p IPS (30") on my desk as well. It's far too slow for gaming, though. It'd be nice to have lots of DP connection, but it doesn't seem like many displays ship with that.

So -- here goes with the questions.

1) I want a fast response time monitor -- hopefully one that performs better than the current one I have. I wish it was quicker than it is. I would probably go 27" regardless of the resolution. So, I'm assuming it is a 144hz monitor.

2) Currently have a radeon, but I'm not loyal to AMD. Freesync seems to make more sense long term -- but it's unclear which is going to win. I'd only hesitate on G-Sync because of the price and chance that Nivida bails on it.

3) If I go with a 1080p monitor, I think I can get by without an immediate graphics card upgrade. That's a plus. I don't know if that's going to make me sad at 27". 1080p isn't a huge resolution increase from where I am at, after all. But it might be worth it for a faster and larger monitor --- maybe?

4) If I go with a 1440p monitor, for sure I need a card. The 1070 would be the obvious choice -- but I'd be borderline CPUed throttled and the outlay of cash for a monitor plus a GPU is going to hurt -- I'd swallow it if I'm not turning around and doing it again this time next year though.

In particular, the Dell S2716DGR looks like a great 1440p monitor at a decent price. That thing can be had less than $500 now, and I've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on it. It'd be a no-brainer if it meant that I could get the IPS off my desk -- but that doesn't seem likely. I would need a monitor with 3 DP connections (MacBook DP, Gaming PC DP, DVI PC) for that to happen -- don't see much with that.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I'm largely not convinced 1440p is worth the cash outlay.

Solution
1) resolution and refreshrate aren't linked. depending on your desk size a 24'' display can be better for fps.
2) for fps games you'd want ultra low motion blur (ULMB) rather than G-Sync as you just don't play on ultra settings. 144Hz are nice though
3) 27'' 1080p will make you sad
4) your CPU can handle anything
1) resolution and refreshrate aren't linked. depending on your desk size a 24'' display can be better for fps.
2) for fps games you'd want ultra low motion blur (ULMB) rather than G-Sync as you just don't play on ultra settings. 144Hz are nice though
3) 27'' 1080p will make you sad
4) your CPU can handle anything

Solution

larsv8

Distinguished
You can punt right now and go 1080p with a AOC G2770PQU 144hz, 1ms, for about $300. Your 7970 pushes 90-110 fps on Overwatch Ultra. Lower the settings, you could probably get into the 120-130 range. Doom is only 40-60. Assuming your current monitor is 60hz, that would be essentially doubling your fps. I have heard mixed responses on whether people can tell the difference, but some people tell me they can never go back.

You would really have to say which FPS you play to see if your card can push the game into the FPS range you want.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page2.html
http://kotaku.com/doom-pc-benchmarks-not-hellish-at-all-1776755400

You could fork out the cash for 1440 and a 1070, if you want to shell out 800+.

I have heard 1440 is the sweetspot right now for gaming, with 4k in its infancy, but I haven't upgraded yet myself.

btx926

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Yeah, I realize the resolution and refresh rate aren't linked. The point is: I'd get a fast response time monitor, and most of those right now are 144Hz monitors -- or at least seem to be. Whether 1080p or 1440p, I'd want a fast response time.

In terms of which FPS -- I play more Battlefield than anything (including BF4 and BF1). I'm doing Overwatch from time to time too. COD, Far Cry, etc, etc, etc...No Counter Strike, other than that my FPS tastes are broad. Just for fun, not competitive at all.

honestly for games like battlefield & cod 144Hz isn't that important
seeing as battlefield is quite heavy on the GPU G-Sync might be nice
basically all quality TN-screens are 1-2ms today (and that is a difference that you don't notice)
I'd look at Acer's predator series. there's the new Acer Predator XB241YU that came out this week, I've been eyeing it for a while now. it's 1440p, G-Sync up to 165Hz, 1ms TN panel on a 24'' screen for around 500 bucks

btx926

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

And this is why every time I visit this topic, I end up sticking with my junky little monitor. It seems there never is a good answer. It may be time to just suck it up and spend the bucks on a nice 1440p TN panel.