HDD size limit?

TerryKn

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
I have an Inspiron 580, quad processor Intel chip. Fitted originally with Win 7 Pro 64, upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64.
Question - Is there a limit on HDD that can be fitted and accessed? I have a 2Tb second drive, which I would like to upgrade to 4Tb (Leaving drive 'C' unchanged at 1.5Tb)
Thanks

Solution
No, there isn't a size limit for storage on your system.

You'll have to format any drive larger than 2TB as GPT in Disk Management, but Windows 10 fully supports that. You are good-to-go for getting a 4TB drive for your system.

Luminary

Admirable
No, there isn't a size limit for storage on your system.

You'll have to format any drive larger than 2TB as GPT in Disk Management, but Windows 10 fully supports that. You are good-to-go for getting a 4TB drive for your system.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
As the drive will be formatted as GPT (if it were formatted as MBR you would only have access to 2.2tb of drive), there is no drive limit currently. One single GPT partition can be 256tb in size and one GPT disc can have 128 partitions on it so you do the math.... There isn't a single drive that big yet.

4745454b

Titan
While what you guys said is true, did anyone look up his system?

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-580-core-i3-550-3-2-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

He's got a first gen core system, in a SFF case. The storage is SATA II, does that chipset even support GPT? I'm drawing a blank and that page doesn't list the chipset number to look it up.