Graphics card recommendation: GTX1080 vs 1070

cactusj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hello everyone

I will be buying a new gaming PC within the next 3 months. My current PC has a GTX 680 card. For the new PC, I am pondering the 8GB EVGA GTX 1080 or the 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW.

I am not sure which one to get. My use of the PC will be as follows:
- Card games such as Hearthstone
- MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft
- Games similar to Skyrim
- Total War games (e.g. Warhammer).
- And anything similar to the above over the next few years.
- I prefer to run games at high level settings - but am happy to run at medium level settings if needed.
- My gaming PCs usually last me for approx 4 years.

With that in mind, is the 1070 a suitable option based on the above?

Thanks.

it primarly depends on your screen / resolution
for 4k I'd get a 1080,
for 2k a 1070 is the go to, seeing as you don't play the most graphically demanding games the 1070 should have some future there
for 1080p the 1070 is fine.

however I wouldn't overspend on an EVGA card, they're usually pretty pricy compared to other brands
and especially with Pascal factory OC and brand don't matte rmuch

cactusj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008

Thank you for your reply.

I was looking to get 2 Dell U2415 monitors - because they are flickr free: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2415.htm
The resolution is: 1920 x 1200

Would the 1070 be suitable here?

xrhstos7003

Honorable
Apr 13, 2014

2 full hd monitors = half pixels as a 2k monitor, so definately would do the trick. Anyway, for an aditional tip, in the graphic settings in games keep antialiasing low (i prefer x4 at most). You don't really need it since you have quite plento of pixels anyway and it just flat out kills performance ingame.

honestly, I know nobody who's really gaming on 2 screens.
usually you'll use one screen for gaming and another one for music/browser/teamspeak/whatever, which will not make a significant difference for your GPU