Ipconfig Pop Up

Divakar Nambiath

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Hey tomsharware. I recently got an automatic update for windows 10, and while turning off the PC the standard screen asking me to not turn off came up while updates were installed. That's when the mains went off and I had to force shut down the system. Ever since then I've had this really annoying problem...
The next day I noticed something flickered for less than a second on screen. I paid no attention until I was playing Shadow of Mordor and a minute into the gameplay something flickers on the screen again and my game minimises. It happens every minute from then onwards. After tedious print screen timing, I managed to get a glimpse of the pop up windows that flickered - it was ipconfig.exe. It disappears before I can read what's written.
I tried various solutions, some which were as simple as a reboot to longer ones like creating a new admin account but the problem persist. Because of this I can't game, I can't work, I can't do anything because this ipconfig pop up takes priority and for eg if I'm typing and it pops up, I miss a letter or two. It's very annoying and makes it impossible for me to do anything. What do I do now? I'll list whatever I have tried -:

1. Rebooting. Not just shut down and start up but reboot as well.
2. Performing an sfc/scannow.
3. Updated all drivers, hardware or for apps like GeForce Entertainment.
4. Created a new user admin.

None of these worked. I even tried deleting the ipconfig exe file but I can't cos even as admin I don't have a certain permission (it was trusted something I can't recall). What do I do? I am completely helpless.

Solution
ok this is what i would try last after nothing else worked. you can reinstall win 10 in place and it should reset everything.

good news is it won't delete anything personal and leaves programs and other settings in place. here is a tutorial with how to do it from a dvd/usb or an iso on your pc. https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

it's a bit better than the old "repair install" we could do on other win versions. this is a bit more in depth and will look for updates and such as it goes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
try to run update again and see if it catches what it missed. sounds like it is stuck midway on an update of some kind.

second shot is to go to settings and uninstall the last couple updates it lists in the history. or any that were installed when the problem started. this should undo or fix whatever is happening. then hopefully the next time it tries to update it will work right.

Divakar Nambiath

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
I downloaded the update again and installed it but it still doesn't stop... Should I try safe mode? Will it's absence/presence in safe mode indicate something?
Also how do I trace the origin of ipconfig? Obviously some programme is causing this so how do I check which one?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
normally this is run through the command prompt which i assume is the quick black window popping up on you. you can check process viewer to try and see what may be running command prompt. this is like task manager but offers more detail to help see what is going on. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

i'd try uninstalling all the updates that came in when the trouble started as well. they may auto install again but may not. hopefully, uninstalling removes whatever is causing this and does it right the next time if you can't figure out what is going on.

safe mode loads minimal stuff so it not happening there would indicate if it is core windows related or not. always worth a check just to see where it may be coming from. make sure to load safe mode with networking to try and trigger whatever is looking at your ipconfig

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok this is what i would try last after nothing else worked. you can reinstall win 10 in place and it should reset everything.

good news is it won't delete anything personal and leaves programs and other settings in place. here is a tutorial with how to do it from a dvd/usb or an iso on your pc. https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

it's a bit better than the old "repair install" we could do on other win versions. this is a bit more in depth and will look for updates and such as it goes.

Solution

Divakar Nambiath

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks so much. It's a huge pain being unable to do anything about this issue and Microsoft themselves not giving me any good answers. I guess I'll have to reinstall windows and oh my god that's huge work... Thanks anyway man