Solved: Ethernet connection problems after changing ISP. Wifi works, but direct Ethernet doesn't.

JasonSandeman

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
Here's the situation:

I have a computer that does not have a WiFi card, and is connected to the ISP router through a CAT5 cable that Bell installed.

I have since changed over to Videotron Cable, and when the tech was here, all seemed to work fine. Little did I know that my old computer was using the (still active) Bell connection.

A week ago, I found out that my computer was searching for connection, and refused to update. The computer is a Linux box that I use for a home server. I thought that maybe it was the computer ethernet card, so I directly connected the cat5 cable to my laptop, and it wouldn't work. I tried my wife's computer, same thing. It just says "Unidentified Network" and "No internet" in the available networks, and "Access type: No network connection" and "Connections: Ethernet" in the Network and Sharing center.

I phoned Videotron's tech support, and so far this is what I have tried:
1) Trying another cat5 cable
2) Directly connecting to the router
3) Directly connecting to the modem
4) Going into settings, disabling the ethernet connection to see if Windows discovers the new network
5) Trying to edit the properties of the IPv4
6) Trying other computers (all exhibit the exact same behaviour)
7) Trying to make a new connection, but the only option is Broadband (PPPoE) and the guy said I have to erase that because I have a cable internet and not a DSL connection
8) The new network is asking me for my Username and Password from the IP, but the tech says that I shouldn't need it, it should automatically be there.

So, I am not sure what to do. I am not very good at networking (as you can tell) and the Videotron tech said he'd phone me back, but that was 5 hours ago. I am confident if I have a checklist, I'll be able to figure it out, but I am not even sure where to start to research...

The computer with the direct connection is a HP a6030N with Ubuntu 16.04
The two laptops are both with Windows 10 home build 1607
One is an Acer Aspire E1-522-5603 and the other is an Asus

NOTE: The Wifi works for these computers without issue. It's when I am trying to connect directly through the ethernet cable that i have a problem..

Solution
Solved this by unplugging both the modem and router, then waiting 2 min. Then I opened up CMD prompt as admin, and used winsock /reset. I restarted 3 times, and all seemed to be fine with all the rest of the computers.

JasonSandeman

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
Solved this by unplugging both the modem and router, then waiting 2 min. Then I opened up CMD prompt as admin, and used winsock /reset. I restarted 3 times, and all seemed to be fine with all the rest of the computers.

Solution