Does this mean I'm hitting the max FPS or?

So a lot of games of mine show that I am hitting 69-70 FPS. It constantly flicks between one or the other. My monitor is 60Hz 1080p and I was thinking of either getting 144hz at the same resolution or 1440p 60 Hz as I read the Radeon RX 480 does decently well in that category.

Leaning more towards the 144Hz but I want to know if I'll actually break past 70. Does my monitor limit the FPS counter? Can I even reach 70 FPS on 60Hz?

Solution
Check your driver settings, make sure vsync is disabled and the framerate target is set to maximum: Open the Crimson suite>Gaming>Global Settings>Frame Rate Target Control>Click on the text box to turn the dot white instead of it being greyed out> slider all the way to the right>Close application and restart.
No, the monitor won't hold the system back unless you use vsync or the framerate control, I've had games running at 200FPS on a 60Hz display (OK, they're a mess of screen tearing but still run otherwise).
Going for a 144Hz display isn't a good idea unless you can get games to run at a MINIMUM of 80FPS, otherwise I'll advise you to turn vsync on or set the framerate target to 60, good as it is the RX480 isn't really a 144Hz card.
Check your driver settings, make sure vsync is disabled and the framerate target is set to maximum: Open the Crimson suite>Gaming>Global Settings>Frame Rate Target Control>Click on the text box to turn the dot white instead of it being greyed out> slider all the way to the right>Close application and restart.
No, the monitor won't hold the system back unless you use vsync or the framerate control, I've had games running at 200FPS on a 60Hz display (OK, they're a mess of screen tearing but still run otherwise).
Going for a 144Hz display isn't a good idea unless you can get games to run at a MINIMUM of 80FPS, otherwise I'll advise you to turn vsync on or set the framerate target to 60, good as it is the RX480 isn't really a 144Hz card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS