Is windows 10 worth switching to at this point in time?

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Just wondering if windows 10 is in a solid state at the moment where if I upgrade there wont be any problems. Im looking to use it for the direct 12x feature but dont know if its stable right now. Made a new post because maybe its been improved over the past few months.

Solution

For me, it was some tech programs. Data recovery programs, OSX file system readers, stuff like that. Nothing really mainstream, but whenever upgrading an OS...
It's been stable, in general, for most of its public life. Like every other version of Windows it's had its ups and downs. However depending on your hardware/software, your mileage may vary. Now's as good a time as any to jump in to the pool, but first look at what hardware/software you're using and see if you have any known conflicts. When I switched, all my hardware was golden, but I had a few legacy programs that would not support the upgrade.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

what programs are you thinking of? and I just bought a new very high end pc so I dont think hardware should be a problem

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10 is very stable. Personally, I've not had any program incompatibilities.

Of course, there is the usual gang of naysayers around here that will loudly proclaim that Win 10 will automagically upload ALL of your all your personal info and keystroke to Microsoft, melt your PC into a pile of goo, and molest your dog.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only people still trying to run win xp programs or win 7 drivers are likely to have issues with 10. Most modern software worked out of the box, and the small amount that didn't has either been fixed or replaced.

I keep win 10 away from my dog, just to be safe :)

For me, it was some tech programs. Data recovery programs, OSX file system readers, stuff like that. Nothing really mainstream, but whenever upgrading an OS there's always the possibility of one or two programs just not making the jump with you. Nothing huge, but always good to know before you make the move.

Solution