Windows experiences an initial period of extremely slow responsiveness after booting up.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Hello!

My PC (about 3 years old) has an i7 3770K (not overclocked) with a 120 GB SSD as the boot drive; I have a 1TB and 3TB hard drive for other files. 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 that upgraded from Windows 7.

Recently, my experience with Windows once I log in have been very hard. Booting up the PC is fast as usual. The logon screen is not an issue as well. But after the login screen, when Windows goes to my desktop, responsiveness slows to a crawl. Applications loading on my task bar stops at Windows Defender. During this period, I cannot open any applications. I've resorted to restarting the PC manually once I saw the massive unresponsiveness. Only after I leave it for 5-10 minutes does my computer run fine afterwards.

During this period, I can still move my cursor, open Explorer (but not Settings or other Windows apps), open some folders, copy and paste files even, but when I try to open files the corresponding programs will not open; only after that period of leaving them for 5-10 mins will they show up.

I have experienced this issue some times in the past, but after the next boot the problem disappears. Only recently have the issues been almost always occurring.

I suspected one of my startup programs has been bottle-necking the computer, so I've disabled all other programs on the Startup tab in Task Manager except for Akamai NetSession Client, Windows Defender, and the Intel Programs. The problem still persists. For the last few reboots I have been enduring the wait, but I don't really know what is causing this weird slowdown. Is there another thing that is causing all this?

I'll answer additional questions if you have but here are all my observations. Thanks for your help!

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

uTorrent is disabled on startup. I scanned my PC recently but did not show anything of note.
As for recently installed programs, I did not install anything that made the Windows experience this issue on the next boot up. But I think the first time I experienced this (about a month ago) it was after a Windows Update.

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

I'm out of the house, I'll try disabling those 2 programs later.
Sorry this is the first time I knew of it, but is Event Viewer = Event Manager?

tr0lolol

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

I see. Thanks! Okay, I'll try to do this! If this works, would subsequent updates by Windows automatically install the one I deleted?

IBM1620

Commendable
Mar 12, 2017
Do you have indexing enabled on your whole hard drive? If, so, any little change happening in the background (e.g. qtorrent or utorrent uploading a segment) can prompt the indexer to update its database, which can take a lot of cycles. Disabling indexing solved the slowdown problem for me on an older XP computer.
I am having a similar problem, everything is slow as molasses for about 5 min. after boot, with the HD thrashing, even tho task manager says CPU is 80% idle. (Win 7 Ult 64) After that, OK. Current suspect: Avast antivirus. I am considering switching to Norton.