Win 10 Home product key has changed from original activated key

Solution
And sadly (or to be expected), ebay is FULL of scammers.
Often, these cheap licenses are actually the (broken) hardware, and the theoretical software that came with them.
You have to read ALL the small print in the ebay posting.

USAFRet

Titan

Buying licensed software on ebay is rarely a good idea. Especially if it is significantly cheaper than retail.

Why is it different? More info needed.
Was this a brand new PC with no previous OS?

Also, install and run Belarc Advisor. See what license key that reports.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Second the key doesn't really matter as long as the hardware is the same and can be activated by using a Microsoft Account . When you install , you should be able to skip entering the license key and will activate. It's going to linked to your account instead of your key , so open up a Microsoft account.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't all home installs get one of 10 generic licence keys displayed in the system. It doesn't matter anyway as I am sure the original key recorded on Microsoft's servers and they only ones who need to know it going forward.

If you ever install on PC again, just click "I don't have a key" and win 10 should auto activate on install, once its checked the servers to confirm PC name is on list

Yes, I did a fresh install, then did a re-install and it activated ok using my Microsoft account.
Regarding keys from Ebay....if it states that the keys have been sourced from a genuine Microsoft authorised re-seller and I am purchasing in good faith, what is my protection (if any) regarding it being a non-revocable licence key ?
Can I not assume that if the Microsoft authentication machine (how ever it works) does its checks and grants an activation...and that's it for life ?

USAFRet

Titan

No protection at all.
That is like the guy in the Walmart parking lot selling a brand new Sony 70" TV for $100, telling you it is 'legit', and he got it from an 'authorized wholesaler'.

MS can and has revoked such license keys.

USAFRet

Titan

No one understands the MS brain. Not even MS.

Future deactivation? It's just that the activation servers have not yet correlated the license you bought with actual valid sources.

If it is significantly cheaper than the usual retail sources, ask 'How'.
How is he able to do that and not sell at a loss?
He got them from an authorized reseller? Where did that reseller get them from?
Several layers of 'resellers' later, you find that these are hijacked MSDN keys, or bought in bulk with stolen credit cards (money laundering).

1 guy selling his own license key for cheap is one thing.
1 guy selling 5,000 license keys for cheap is something else.

We'd all like that Windows OS to be cheaper. Sadly, it is not.

USAFRet

Titan
And sadly (or to be expected), ebay is FULL of scammers.
Often, these cheap licenses are actually the (broken) hardware, and the theoretical software that came with them.
You have to read ALL the small print in the ebay posting.

Solution