Matching my NVidia GT 740sc to a cpu

jagoriup

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015
I am new at building and this build will hopfully last until it's components die.

I have newish components that are less than a year old. One of them is my EVGA NVidia Geforce GT 740SC (superclocked) graphics card (part number: 02G-P4-2742-KR) and the power supply (EVGA 500w 80 plus Bronze part #:100-W1-0500-KR) I needed for it to work.

In my new build, to make use of the superclocked part of the graphics card, should I stick to only CPU's with part numbers that end with a 'K'? Or, perhaps there are others but would just sticking with the 'K's be my best, or safest, option? I'm going to stick with Intel unless I hear of something better.

Assuming speed is key,
Is an Intel i7-6700K with a good motherboard, for example a MB with an Intel Z170 chipset, going to be a 'better' combination with my graphics card than just about any i5?

Another way to ask this with a slightly different spin on it is,
Is my graphics card going to hold back the i7 to i5 levels of performance?

I figure cost isn't going to be a major problem since I'm not replacing my graphics card, power supply, or the also relatively new 2 terabyte harddrive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jagoriup

Honorable
Feb 12, 2015

Hey thanks! Sounds like I should either choose a cheaper CPU or get a better GPU.

If you want it primarily for games. what you save by getting i5 you could sink into better GPU and get much better results.
With that i7 you could easily run two GTX 1080 GPUs and have some power to spare let alone measly GT 740SC.