LGA Motherboards: Any price conscious recommendations? I need specific specs...

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I'm new to intel technology, and I need something with some specific specs:

- PCIE 2.0 x 16 slot for my graphics card, preferably with an extra pci slot to fit in a lan card.
- DDR3 x2 memory channels with 16gb or 32gb maximum memory and at least 1600mhz speed. I have two 8gb ram sticks with 1600mhz speed.
- I'm open to the type of platform for the processor; preferably and LGA1155 but I'm open to suggestions.

Also worth mentioning this is for a gaming setup. I have a 650w psu. Preferably, I am looking for a motherboard within $100, but I'm willing to go to $150. All of the motherboards I have seen are either to over the top in specs and price or just not enough. Thankyou for any suggestions.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
In 2016 you are not going to be able to buy a LGA 1155 for less than 150.

Why PCIE 2.0? Then you need AMD and any AMD FX Mobo.

Any Intel Mobo these days will have PCIE 3.0 which would take your graphic card and no PCI slot is no more not even on AMD boards.
Why do you need a LAN card? Mobo don't have integrated?

I recommend a G3258 Intel Pentium anniversary edition for CPU and maybe a Asrock Anniversary edition, H97 or Z97 version.

Maybe they are not enough in spec for you or maybe the price is no good but there you are.

Unless you have a microcenter close by your home, and even then, there is no way to get Intel CPU/Mobo combo for 150.

Wolfshadw

Titan
First off, do you know that PCI-E 2.0 cards are compatible with PCI-E 3.0 expansions slots and vice versa. There is no reason to get a motherboard with only PCI-E 2.0.

Second, please verify that your LAN card is actually PCI. Additionally, since most (if not all) motherboard come with LAN port integrated into it, are you sure you even need the LAN card?

DDR3 RAM does become a bit of a sticking point. I understand that's what you have, but it's old technology and is limiting your options to the same older tech. Nothing wrong with it, just that you won't be getting the latest tech.

Socket 1155 motherboard are even more outdated that DDR3. Unless you have a need for socket 1155, I would recommend upgrading to socket 1150 (Ideally, you'd want socket 1151, but that would need DDR4 RAM).

-Wolf sends

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Ah, well thanks for the info. I have an AMD graphics card and I am upgrading from an fm2+ motherboard. I'll check out the processor. To be honest, I'm pretty open for suggestions for the processor. I'm not too picky about specs for a processor...my old motherboard supports a fm2+ processor and the one I was using was a 2012 model...so yeah, just as long as it can get the job done I don't mind. :)

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Thanks! And yes, I do have a lan card for a regular pci slot AND a spare one that fits in a pcie x 16. I just find it a shame to let them go to waste. Good to hear that the motherboards have an integrated lan card, though.

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Thank you for the info! I've been looking at some of those motherboards, but until now I was uncertain of what to do for a lan card.